Ride 4 - Going North

One of the high spots in west Madison. 4/14/24 dwm
I took a bonus ride Sunday. It wasn't part of the plan when I woke but after church the weather was so good, my wife told me to get on the bike.

After exchanging church attire for a jersey, shorts, socks, and bike shoes; I checked the tires (only a couple pumps required); grabbed my wallet, camera and hit the road.

Instead of heading to the Military Ridge trail, I went north on a path along the west side of County M. The four-lane road is busy during morning and afternoon commutes, so it was designed with tunnels under two busy intersections.

The trail took me to South Pleasant View road where I climbed one of the highest points west of the city. You can see the capitol from the top, however, an antennae for a TV station and its support wires make for difficult pictures. The view west is a mix of farmland and subdivisions that sprung from the ground during the past ten years.

An idyllic dairy farm near Springfield. 4/14/2024 dwm
 Thanks to a nearly completed construction project on Pleasant View, I took it from Old Sauk Road to where it crosses U.S. Highway 14. 

 Prior to the work, the road was a narrow two-lane road without a shoulder or space for a bike. When it's finished there will be bike lanes on both sides of the road. 

 I stopped for a sandwich at Kwik Trip then joined the trail alongside U.S. Highway 12 riding it to where it stops at Rauls road.

 It was a long slog. Steady breezes from the northwest came head-on, slowing me to 12.5 miles an hour over the 18 miles in 90 minutes.

Turning around the bike for the trip back, I started downhill, getting the bike up to 33-miles-an-hour. Even on flat stretches, it was faster as tailwinds made it easier pedaling as I cruised along at more than 19-mph.

A road-side stop at the Missouri. 4/14/2024 dwm

Usually when I've taken this trail it's early in the morning, so the Missouri isn't usually open.

This time when I rode north I saw a sign on the trail letting bikers know sport drinks and bottled water were available.

I stopped on the way back for a water. There were a number of patrons outside. One asked about my bike and how it rode. 

The water was ice cold and exactly what I needed. Sunday was the warmest day of the year, 84 degrees according to my bike computer. That temperature will be welcome in the summer. In April, it's just hot.

Sunday's ride was 37 miles, the average 13.5. Next weekend is likely to be cooler, so it might be a few weeks before the next ride.

Comments