Honk before Passing

'Beep Beep' on stage at Prairie Ridge. 'Spring 23
 The painting hanging in my Oakwood office keeps a great memory alive.

 In the spring of 2023 the University Woods campus was holding it's 'Cabaret,' a show open to residents and staff willing to get up on stage.

 I wanted to do an old novelty song but to bring it to life, I needed help. The work was done by a friend and colleague who is also a gifted artist. I found photos of a Cadillac and Rambler from 1957 for her to use as a reference and she did the rest.

 The two Oakwood campuses both put talent shows on stage last spring. At Prairie Ridge, I persuaded the campus chaplain to act out the role of the little Nash Rambler.  

A few weeks later at University Woods, my wife Rhonda and I performed together. Sadly, I don't have a picture of that performance. It was fun doing the show. What I didn't expect was that I still hear comments about "Beep Beep."

The baby blue Nash tried passing on the left throughout the song while the big red Caddy couldn't believe such a small car could keep up. The audience enjoyed the show almost as much as we did performing.

An on-stage memento now hangs on my wall. 4/24/24 dwm
 
After the show, I knew I wanted to keep at least one of the paintings as a souvenir of the performance, it
just took a while to come together.
 
The pair of paintings sat in my home office leaning against a wall for more than a year before I took one to the local Hobby Lobby to be matted and framed. I picked it up last week.
 
Becky's version of the plucky car that couldn't get out of second gear looks even better than it did on stage. I hope to keep it around a long time to remember two very fun moments. 
 
Beep Beep - written by Donald Claps and Carl Cicchetti, performed by The Playmates, 1958
 
While riding in my Cadillac
What to my surprise
A little Nash Rambler was following me
About one-third my size
The guy must have wanted to pass me up
As he kept on tooting his horn
I'll show him that a Cadillac is not a car to scorn
 
Beep, beep. Beep, beep.
His horn went beep, beep, beep.
 
I pushed my foot down to the floor
To give the guy the shake
But the little Nash Rambler stayed right behind
He still had on his brake
He must have thought his car had more guts
As he kept on tooting his horn
I'll show him that a Cadillac is not a car to scorn
 
Beep, beep. Beep, beep.
His horn went beep, beep, beep.
 
My car went into passing gear
And we took off with gust
Soon we were doing 90
Must've left him in the dust
When I peeked in the mirror of my car
I couldn't believe my eyes
The little Nash Rambler was right behind
I think that guy could fly
 
Beep, beep. Beep, beep.
His horn went beep, beep, beep.
 
Now we're doing a hundred and ten
This certainly was a race
For a Rambler to pass a Caddy
Would be a big disgrace
The guy must've wanted to pass me up
As he kept on turning his horn
I'll show him that a Cadillac is not a car to scorn
 
Beep, beep. Beep, beep.
His horn went beep, beep, beep.
 
Now we're doing a hundred-and-twenty
As fast as I could go
The Rambler pulled alongside of me
As if we were going slow
The fellow rolled down his window
And yelled for me to hear
"Hey buddy, how can I get this car
Out of second gear!"
 

Comments