My Week that Was - March 9

On the bike path. 3/2/24 dwm
 Saturday morning I didn't have "it" while at the gym. I wasn't planning to run six miles, but I thought I'd get through two. It wasn't to be - I ran one mile then walked another three with five minutes left in the hour.

 We ate breakfast at the Prairie Cafe. It's the closest thing we have to 'our place.' I usually order a chocolate-banana smoothie, which isn't on the menu anymore, but which they make anyway. One of the women behind the counter usually makes it, knowing exactly how I like it.  That's a nice feeling.

 From there it was time to finish a couple of errands. I had a back-up light that burnt out so I tried the shop I usually count on for such things and was told the store only sells bulbs now, not replace them. Instead I tried Farm & Fleet to see if their auto shop could help. They couldn't squeeze me in gave me an appointment Sunday after church.

 I watched the Badgers lose at home to Illinois Saturday afternoon. I expect them to make the tournament but the way they've been playing it's hard to believe they could win more than a game or two. It's also possible they get knocked out in game one.

After the game it was sunny and warm, perfect for the first ride of the season. The last time I rode was October.  I pumped up the tires and set out. It was fun. Back at home I realized the bike light wasn't removed after the last ride of 2023, I was surprised to see it light up when I pushed the button. 

Sunday morning, I took the car to Farm & Fleet. It was a quick stop, less than ten minutes before I was on my way.  It was nice and warm but the winds were gusting over 30 miles per hour so I enjoyed the day from my recliner.

I tuned in the Iowa women's basketball team playing Ohio State in the final regular season game for both teams and an opportunity for the Hawkeyes' Caitlin Clark to set a new Division 1 scoring record. It was an exciting game and Clark is an exciting player, she passed Pete Maravich's record with two free throws before the end of the first half. It will be interesting to see if Iowa can put together a second straight trip to the Final Four.

Tuesday I got a surprise checking email and seeing a message from one of the company's we do business with telling me they changed our email to one I'd never heard of... because it wasn't ours! After reaching out, I learned one of the vendor sites we use was compromised. As a precaution, our phone provider suggested taking the phones down for a while and purchasing new SIM cards to change the phones identity.

Wednesday I met with colleagues to schedule six donor stewardship events, three on each campus. The first two in April are dessert receptions for Oak Society members. Those are followed by dinner for members of our Golden Oak Society and lifetime donor societies in June. The last events are in September with cookouts on each campus for donors who give automatically each month.

Thursday was a fun. I got better acquainted with a colleague over lunch and my wife and I took part in the final practice before next week's Cabaret.  Over the last week, one of the biggest projects has been getting the 2024 pins out to all the members in our Oak Tree Circle.

The Badgers won their final home game Thursday, looking more like themselves as Kamari McGee returned to action. He seems to be the 'energy guy' this team needs.

At the gym Friday morning I increased my run to two-and-a-half-miles, hopefully by the end of next weeks I'll be up to 3 miles. The last day of work was productive, with a couple meetings and checking off a number of small tasks that I won't have to deal with next week. 

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy the weekend and the week!

Comments