Remembering the King

Peter King. NBC sports image

 Dear Peter,

 So what am I supposed to do on Monday mornings?

 Habits only take 3-weeks to stick so this seems like a major adjustment period is coming down the tracks.

 I wasn't online for the first MMQB but read what was included in that week's Sports Illustrated.

 Thanks to the magic of dial-up internet I was able to copy and paste your column onto a document so I could read without my only business phone give a busy signal to potential customers. I'd read your column while eating lunch. 

27 years is a long time to do anything, and I'm glad I was able to be part of the ride. While I'm not the same age, I am 'in the neighborhood,' and appreciated the personal touches on travel, family, and personal perspectives.

As a life-long Packer fan, your weekly column came along just in time to chronicle the green and gold as Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Brett Favre, and Reggie White came along. I wasn't used to seeing Green Bay in the pages of SI and when the story had your byline, I knew there was going to be something I hadn't heard before.

It wasn't just the MMQB, I couldn't wait for the Tuesday column to officially wrap-up the NFL weekend.

When you moved to FMIA, so did I.

We've never met but it feels like you're an old friend with a familiar voice.

As a former TV and radio reporter, I had an idea of what you did, but seeing it play out week after week throughout the year was always a treat.

While you may fade from view, I hope you find an audience for Father's Day book reviews and recaps of college graduations.

Good luck and Godspeed, Peter, it's been a great trip.

Go Pack, Go!

David

P.S. I appreciate the way you're exiting stage left. The magazine you left behind should take note. I thought I'd be a reader forever.  SI retired some time ago, they just don't know it.
 

Comments