My Week that Was - February 3

Greendale, WI. 1/26/24 dwm photo
Over the last week and a  half we've had more clouds than sun and quite a bit of fog. That's what happens when melting snow is colder than the surrounding air.

We still have snow on the ground but the snow pack has lost much of its depth.  Temperatures are expected to be warm for another week, we might lose all of the snow.

There was ice on lakes for a short time but most of Wisconsin's water is unsafe to walk on at this point.  A few days ago I saw a couple of ice fishermen on a lake only 20 or 30 feet from open water. Be careful out there.

The weekend was quite relaxing since the day leading into two days off was an off day from work. This week was my first five-day work week in 2024.

Wisconsin basketball keeps winning, moving up to number six in the weekly rankings.  They need to get past Nebraska Thursday to continue leading the B1G conference going into Sunday (2/4) when they host the Purdue Boilermakers, who are considered a favorite to win the title.

It continues to be busy at the office.  The year-end tax statements got into the mail and into mailboxes on time and 257 Valentine cards are ready for distribution.  The newsletter isn't as far along as I'd like but there should be a good amount of progress in the next week. 

Wednesday we had our first team breakfast of the year.  We enjoyed good food at Hollander while working through plans and goals for the year in front of us.  Later in the morning, I was privileged to be part of a mid-winter meeting on the west campus' nature preserve.  Resident generosity and hard work have made great strides in removing invasive species from the 9 acres while planting and restoring native plants to the land.

Friday was unusual.  I woke up feeling let I slept wrong. Just above the belt the left side of my back was sore. I made my way to the gym trying to figure out what was wrong. I didn't stay long, walked on the treadmill 10 minutes and after talking to a friend headed home.  While I didn't know the cause it felt like it was muscular. My wife helped apply Aspercreme and it seemed to work.  I felt better, enough to shower, change, and head to work.

Two hours later the pain returned.  A text message from my wife alerted me to the idea this might be serious.  I called the clinic and talked to a nurse who recommended I get to the Emergency Room.

As the pain escalated while I was talking with her, I couldn't drive myself. A friend and colleague dropped what she was doing and drove me in.  I texted my wife who met me there.  The pain was close to 8 or 9 as I waited.  They gave me an IV of fluids, painkiller, and anti-nausea medicine (I had been sick twice at that point). As the medication worked the pain fell to a manageable level.  A CT Scan confirmed what the medical people were telling me, I have a kidney stone, 4 millimeters.

For something so small, it packs a kick.  I was sent home with meds to treat the pain and create a better exit from my body.  The doctor said it could happen quick or take a couple of weeks.  If that's the case, surgery will remove it. Otherwise it's a case of pain management, if I feel up to it, I can do it.  

The pain was below five the rest of the day but based on the first day, it's difficult to imagine being very productive at work.  The Lord has a plan, I'm praying it is for a quick ending.  

You can guess the main topic of my next week!  Thanks for reading and thanks for your prayers.

Comments