Snow Day 2.0

4:25 pm 1/12/2024 dwm photo

Friday was when the week's second winter storm was going to hit south Wisconsin.  
 
Snow started around 5 am and the weather people warned we might get 9 or more inches by the time it stopped on Saturday.
 
Since I had taken Tuesday off as a personal snow day, I planned to work all day Friday.  After hearing the predictions Thursday, I decided working until lunch was a better idea.
 
The heaviest snow and strongest winds were expected late Friday.  By going home at noon, I'd be ahead of the game and remove some of my wife's concerns.

4:07 pm 1/12/2024 dwm photo
 When I got home I put a large sheet of plastic across the windshield, a time-saver if there is ice or snow, in clearing windows.  I place each end inside the front doors and put the wipers on top of the sheet to hold it in place.
 
 Wind picked up through the afternoon blowing fluffy snow into drifts.  

 It didn't look like a lot of snow Saturday morning when I got up.  I walked to the car before deciding the five additional inches and that our drive wasn't plowed meant I should wait before going to the gym.

8:21 1/13/24 dwm
Skies were clear, showing off a magical landscape of fresh, undisturbed snow.  I pulled the plastic sheet off the care leaving a lot of snow on the hood and ground.  I brushed the windows clean, then shoveled to give plows room to work and me space to get up to speed.  Then I went inside.

Our association isn't the only customer our snow removal team has, so I didn't know how long I'd need to wait.  When there were still no plows around 9:30, I left, hoping the crew would get our drive and the entrance clear while I was away.  Once on city streets, I had no trouble going to the gym.  

After the workout I returned to find the drive still full of snow, dropped the car into low gear and plowed through the snow before reaching my space.  It was nearly 2 o'clock before the crew arrived.  I'm glad I didn't wait. Most neighbors stayed in for the day, there were only three sets of car tracks at noon.

Since Tuesday, we've had approximately 20 inches of snow after getting almost nothing, maybe half a foot, since November.  It now looks and feels like winter.

1:52 pm 1/13/2024 dwm photo
 There is one thing I forgot, clearing snow from around the fire hydrant.  If you have one close to you that's partially or fully covered with snow, it is potentially life-saving to clear a three-foot diameter around it. (I went back and got it after church Sunday.)
 
 We might get more snows like this pair but it seems unlikely.  Unless it gets unseasonably warm, I expect we'll have most of this snow around for a while.  Now that we've got snow, it's time for serious cold.  Highs the next few days will reach 5, so gloves, hats, and winter coats are must-wear. 

Comments