On the House

Too big for under the tree. 12/25/23
 There's an old joke, probably considered a Dad joke by now...

 Q: Why did the man bring a ladder to the party?

 A: He heard drinks were on the house.

 That was one of the first things I thought of when I opened a very large and thin gift Monday night.

 Our youngest son and his wife, plus mine, went in together on something they believed I needed, a ladder.

 The ladder we had is a four-foot tall painter's wood ladder.  It shows its character and age (certainly older than me) with drips of paint and enough shakiness to make you wonder about standing above the third step.

 In the house, standing on a dining room chair usually is enough for me to change out chirping batteries in a smoke detector or a burned out bulb in the kitchen's ceiling light.

A Little Giant. dwm photo

These 'honey do' projects can now be handled with a higher degree of safety.

My gift, a "Little Giant," is a cross between a step-stool and ladder.  There are two steps.  The second is more of a platform with a small hand-hold which can also serve to rest tools or supplies.

I used it the next morning to lubricate the garage door.  In addition to its design, a helpful quality is it's light weight.  I could move it with one-hand.  Last night I used it again to replace a dead battery in a chirping smoke detector.

While it won't work for trimming trees, it will do just fine for most house-hold chores.

It's a great gift, practical and something that should last a very long time.  I'll remember this gift and their thoughtfulness for years to come.  Thank you!

Photos by David Mossner, 12/25/2023

Comments