Memorable Christmas Eves

Our 2023 tree. dem photo

My most memorable Christmas Eve was in 1983.  I brought my girlfriend home for the holidays which included a family trip Christmas day to see the extended family, although not for the first time.

I had worked out some details with the family before we arrived so they knew what was to happen.

After we walked home after the Children's Christmas Eve service, we had snacks and opened presents.  Not long after that, mom, dad, and my 8-year old sister went to bed while the two of us stayed downstairs to enjoy the fire and listen to Christmas music.

I don't clearly remember how much time passed before I got it together and knelt to propose marriage with a ring I purchased a few weeks earlier.

Upstairs, all was quiet while three people waited for their cue.  After a few minutes, I yelled upstairs, "She said yes!"

They came back down to celebrate - mom had something ready - and excited conversation ensued.

In true Mossner fashion, we headed to Peoria the next morning despite snow on the ground and more coming.  Rhonda has talked about this trip ever since, amazed we didn't call off the trip.  At times we followed snow plows as they cleared lanes of traffic.  It was a longer trip than usual but we eventually got there, continuing our first holiday together.

Eight years later we were back in Janesville.  I lost my job a couple months earlier and our family of four was trying to find the Christmas spirit while I looked for work.  A real spirit lifter came when people from church stopped by bearing gifts for the kids and groceries for the pantry.  

Whether the circumstances are happy, or not, the reason for the season is the joy that transcends feelings of the moment.  I hope you find the Joy which came to the world in the manger at Bethlehem.

Comments