Hive Shopping

The Hive on Monroe St, Madison. 11/18/2023 dwm
Last Christmas, my boss gave me a gift card to a place called the Hive of Madison.

When I checked out their website, I found some casual clothes that looked good, some of them nice enough to wear on casual days around the office.

It's located in one of two business districts along Monroe Street which connects the University of Wisconsin campus with private Edgewood College.  

The area has two dozen shops and stores, most of them owned and operated by local people.  A Trader's Joe grocery store is the only national name but even it fits the neighborhood vibe.

The store has fronts on Monroe Street and a second entrance with display window facing Harrison Street.  The two parts of the store are connected with a flight of stairs connecting the shop space.

On display in the store window. 11/18/23 dwm
 The store has eclectic selection of items ranging from games to accessories for pets to shoes.  Most of the gear on display Saturday was clothing or winter attire so students can survive a Madison winter.

 I was prepared to spend $50 and was hoping to get either a flannel shirt or sweater.

 One thing I am not, is fashion forward.  The clothes on display looked fine but as I pulled out the price tag I had a severe case of sticker shock.

 There were ball caps and glasses with bikes painted on them that looked nice but weren't what I had in mind.

Finally I found a shelf with shirts nicely folded.  It was a selection of t-shirts called "the only tee."  

It's no ordinary t-shirt:

  • Pima cotton for an extra soft handfeel
  • TENCEL (tm) Lyocell promotes moisture wicking
  • TENCEL (tm) Lyocell for inhibiting bacterial growth
  • Nylon added for added strength and shape retention

It was the right size.  It looked nice.  And it fit into my price range.  Except for a couple t-shirts I bought at concerts, this should be my nicest tee ever.  

It was $49.  Thankfully I had gift cards so it didn't cost me a penny. 

Comments