A Sad Day

Photo at Kennedy Museum. 7/30/22 dwm
 Tomorrow is the 60th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's death by assassination.

 As with all historic events, memories fade with the passing of time as people age and other incidents and memories rise to take their place on the timeline of history.

 The 35th President of the United States, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, was the youngest elected president.  His youth, relative to the politicians of that era, was a breath of fresh air to the up and coming generation of baby boomers.

 The tragically abbreviated presidency is one reason we look at his time in office wistfully wondering what might have been and where the country might have gone had he served two terms.  I'll leave that to others.

On display at the museum.

I was two months old when he was shot.  There are no first-hand memories, only a family story of what happened in our home in Mundelein, Illinois November 22, 1963.

This week the History Channel launched a new series this week called Kennedy.  It's a look back at his life with perspective from the generation behind him.

When my son and I visited Boston in the summer of 2022, we spent a few hours in the Kennedy Presidential Museum.  It was fascinating.  We could have spent an entire day.

The story I remember is one my mom told many times.  

Since I was a colicky baby, it was tough on mom and she didn't get a lot of rest.  It was early Friday afternoon and she just got me to sleep when Dad called to tell mom about the assassination.

The phone woke me up and I was cranky and crying again after just minutes of peace and quiet.  Mom always ended the story by saying Dad shouldn't have called.

It's tragic there was a reason for the call in the first place.

Comments