My Week that Was - September 23

Colors of late fall. 10/24/2022 dwm photo
  Saturday morning started like most, with a trip to the gym then hopping on my bike for a quick ride to McFarland and back.

 Then the day got a little different.  We have an anniversary down the road where we're planning something special.  Actually, she's doing the planning, my job is to go along.

 On this Saturday, while the Badgers were playing football, we went as a couple to what turned out to be a cookware demonstration.  It wasn't advertised that way, which is why I went.  It wasn't bad as things like this go, but we'll never get those 97 minutes back.

We got home in time to watch most of the second half of the Wisconsin game and it was the better of two halves to watch.  The Badgers haven't played a complete this season against non-conference opponents.  Friday night they start the B1G schedule in West Lafayette, I'm curious to see how they fare against Purdue.

Sunday's Packer game was a glass half-full in my opinion.  Most pundits predicted an Atlanta win, which should have meant a one-point loss being viewed as promising.  However, Green Bay led well into the fourth quarter when the defense seemed to run out of gas while trying to keep the Falcons out of the end zone.  

Green Bay has one win and one loss going into the home-opener.  Quarterback Jordan Love looks good so far.  As the experts like to say, the game isn't too big for him.  Overall, I'm pleased with what I'm seeing.  The first-year players are rising to the occasion so the team looks like it is building, not re-building.  Go Pack, Go!

Monday and Tuesday were busy with a mix of visits, meetings, and getting the next appeal letter into the mail.  Late Tuesday I approved the final proofs so letters should be in the mail by the end of the week.

A foursome approaches the 15th green. 9/20/21

Part of Tuesday was spent on the final details on our golf outing Wednesday.  To the best of my knowledge it's the first time we've hosted one.  
 
Wednesday morning I headed across town to the Prairie Pines course.  I had looked at a map and thought I knew where I was going but I missed or forgot something and ended up on the side of the road punching the address into Google maps which got me there on time.
 
Several of us worked on setting up registration tables and organizing door prizes before the golfers began to arrive around 9.  I welcomed and thanked the group 10 minutes before the scheduled start, turned it over to the course professional who shared ground rules for the course; then led a parade of carts to their starting holes.
 
A beautiful look from the 18th green. dwm
 If you aren't golfing, an event like this one has a lot of action before it starts, a long lull, and then action picks up as groups finish their 18 holes at different times.  The difference between the first finisher and the last was close to 45 minutes.

 When we had everyone's scorecard, door prizes were awarded, the winners of individual contests received their prizes, and then the top two teams got the top prizes.
 
 It was a good day and a nice opportunity to meet some new friends of Oakwood.  It will take a week or two before we know how successful it was as a fundraiser.
 
Thursday and Friday I took off to attend a funeral.   A sad occasion and especially hard on immediate family.  It's difficult to find any words that provide comfort in times like this, so being there is usually the most we can do.  

The Grand Haven range lights. 9/22/23 dwm
Friday morning we drove to Grand Haven to re-shoot lighthouses.  
 
When we first stopped in September 2017 there was a construction project that limited me to one view of the lights.  This time I crossed the channel and got pictures from across the way, taking many more shots than I did the first time.

There will be new posts on the lighthouses in Grand and South Haven Michigan.

I hope your week is a good one!

Comments