Searching for Miles

In front of the Red Gym 8/12/23

Wisconsin, like many other places in North America, is in a drought.  Crops and lawns turned brown until some recent showers have made at least the lawns green again.

The upside is I haven't missed many weekend rides because of rain.  I didn't get out for the first trip until May 7 but since missing that next weekend, I'm on a streak of 12-straight weeks.

Before I left home, I heard about the Madison Marathon and Mini-Marathon going on over the weekend, so I thought I might cross their route at some point.  I also wanted to get at least 35 miles, so decided taking the long-way downtown was the best way to go.

From Verona, I steered the bike north through Middleton before following University Avenue east around Lake Mendota.  My plan was to get on the lake shore path on campus for its direct route to the Memorial Union but when I got close, I saw the race participants using the path.  

Another road was open, I rode it several blocks then was able to get down to the lake shore path where the race returned to city streets. 

The path got me to Union Terrace where there were a lot more people than I usually see before 9am.  The reason was it was the place for the post-race party, so dozens of runners were enjoying their post-run music and snacks.  I didn't intrude.  After I spotted Bucky Badger, I carried my bike up a few stairs, got my pictures and was on my way, stopping for the shot (above right) in the campus mall in front of the Red Gym.
 
From there it is a quick shot to the Southwest Commuter trail and I followed it, with one more crossing of the race course, then stayed on the Badger State Trail to Purcell Road where I turned around and headed home.  
 
It was a beautiful day to ride.

Comments