My Week that Was - August 26

Rays of sun over Madison. 8/19/23 dwm
Saturday is my usual day to ride and thanks to the drought I've gotten out almost every week.  This week started with the idea of riding around Lakes Mendota and Monona then back on the Capital City Trail connect with the Military Ridge Trail and home.

I had several close avian encounters - 5 wild turkeys, 4 sand hill cranes, and an egret in a tall tree.

Three turkeys were on a lawn looking to cross the street.  I gave them room and they paid no attention.  The second encounter was two turkeys.  These birds seemed more engaged but no more interested in me or my bike.

The first pair of cranes were on a lawn grazing and finding a bug or two.  The second pair was crossing the street in the northeast corner of Madison.  While I've never had an issue with cranes, I slowed along with a car until the first bird was safe on the far curb and the second still waiting to cross.

I could have taken photos of any or all of them but chose to leave them be and keep moving.  The last bird was an egret because as I got on the Capital City Trail and looked at the green space I saw a bright splash of white high in a tree.  The bright white birds are members of the heron family.  The bird was a long way off, I hoped for a closer look but the bird either flew off or hid as I got closer.

This was the second longest ride of the season, 47.5 miles, average speed 15.4 mph.

A Monarch near church Sunday morning. dwm
 After parking the car at church Sunday morning, I walk around the parking lot surrounded by crops, wild grasses and flowers.  
 
 Usually there are birds to see, including hawks.  This  Sunday there were two monarch butterflies flitting around me and two cranes walking in front of the church.
 
 One butterfly rested five feet away stopping long enough to get a few shots with my phone.  I don't take pictures every week but my mind's eye gets to see the wonders of God's creation on these humble acres.
 
  Monday was nice with a high around 80 and low humidity.  Then there was Tuesday and it was HOT.  Tuesday was uncomfortable because it was hot and humid.
 
Wednesday was worse - hitting 100 and feeling hotter due to the tropical humidity.  It was so humid in the morning my glasses fogged as I walked out the gym door at 6 am.  At work, I climbed the stairs (see the post from July 11 to know which stairs) after I got there at 7, it was like walking up an old fashioned thermometer.
 
When I got to the fifth floor I noticed it was warmer.  It got hotter and muggier with every flight until the sauna-like conditions on the 15th floor landing where it was 20 degrees warmer than the first.  The heat made me flashback to February when the same stairs was 50 or colder.

Thursday the cable went out. For hours.  It was approximately nine hours with no internet or tv and only a few over-the-air stations available.  It was a nice break - the three-plus hours at home without distractions let me finish To Set A Watchman.  

Harper Lee's second novel was published posthumously.  It's an interesting story, picking up the story of Atticus Finch and his children in Maycomb, Mississippi.  The resolution is there is no resolution; it is thought-provoking and a good 'grown-up' read.

Friday I gave blood for the 130th time.  It went well, the phlebotomist made the shot and the pint was removed in short order.  When I was in the canteen getting a snack, I had a conversation with another donor.  He's a veteran with more than 20 years in the Navy and shared a few stories.  It was an honor meeting him.  His service for others continues, he's given more than 32 gallons!

Blood is always in demand.  If you're eligible, please take the time to share the gift of life, a moment of pain is worth it.  Have a great week!

Comments