My Week that Was - August 19

Purple Coneflowers. 8/12/23 dwm
Saturday morning I made my way downtown to see the latest Bucky Badger on parade.  The parade I chronicled in this space was in 2018, so the new statue recognizes it's been five years since the last showing and celebrates the state and university's 175th birthdays.
 
As usual, there were other things going on in Madison beside the usual Farmer's Market and the new Bucky on display; it was also the day of the Madison Mini-Marathon.  
 
That meant crossing the route a few times on my way to see Bucky.  Part of my preferred route was only open for runners.  On the bright-side, I used the detours to get in more miles than usual, reaching 38 for the day.  You can see the blog on the latest Bucky tomorrow.
 
After the ride, we drove to Decatur Dairy northwest of Brodhead for lunch.
 
 The dairy has made cheese since the 1940s and currently have 70 co-operative farms in Green, Rock, and Lafayette counties.
 
 The store sells bulk cheese and ice cream in addition to grilled cheese sandwiches.  It's been busy every time.  We've been just the second or third couple in line a couple times but this time there were half-a-dozen in front.  It doesn't take a long time but if you go, keep in mind they aren't a fast food shop, so it may take a few minutes to get your delicious melted cheese sandwich.  I suggest the On Wisconsin with secret sauce.
 
 Late Sunday afternoon I went to Curd Fest to see what it was all about.  There is more about it in the past Thursday's blog.  There were lots of cheese curds, just not the type I expected to find.
 
A summer flower. 8/17/2023 dwm
At work I'm working my through 16 courses on a variety of topics employees at community based residential facilities should understand.  I'm not close to being a caregiver but that's the usual topic.  Since it's an annual requirement, I've viewed and re-viewed most of these many times, which helps in passing the tests at the end of each course.

Thursday was one of the coolest days in a while.  There was a strong breeze from the northwest.  The temperature was in the low 70s.  It's been a month since it was that cool.  
 
It was comfortable giving rickshaw rides and perfect for riders, conditions seemed to attract more passengers than usual. This is the time of year to appreciate summer because it won't be long and warm, sunny days will be gone.

Friday after work we went to a new place for dinner, more on it Tuesday.  We enjoyed a relaxing drive through the country and were impressed with the setting and the meal.

Sunset over west Dane county. 8/18/23 dwm photo
 On the way home we drove through the rolling hills of west Dane County.  As the road straightened out I saw a deep red sun setting in my rear-view mirror.
 
 On the next hill, the sun didn't look as red but the rays streaming across the sky accented the cirrus clouds making a good picture.

 There was one more stop at Icki Sticki for a scoop of Carmel Chaos made by Chocolate Shoppe.

 It was a productive work week.  Our next letter needs another proof-reading before printing and that check I've been waiting for should be sent within two weeks.  
 
I hope all your deliveries stay on schedule; have a great week!

A scoop of Carmel Chaos.  8/18/2023 dwm photo

Comments