My Week that Was - August 12

The 2023 fair poster.
 The first two weeks of August are home to the Wisconsin State Fair, 11 days of fun and accomplishment.  2023 is the fair's 172 birthday.

 The first one was in Janesville, my home town, although that was a few years before my time.

 While there were 2 fairs since the deepest part of the pandemic, the 2023 version of State Fair felt more normal than 2021 or 22.  It was a nice day, mostly cloudy, warm, and a light breeze to keep things fresh.  People crowded through aisles and on streets around the grounds just like they did pre-Covid.

 I used a vacation day Monday, which was one of the best days this summer.  After a leisurely work-out, I biked 34 miles before we traveled to nearby Mt. Horeb where we shopped along the town's Trollway before eating lunch.

 After that, it was a quiet afternoon while I worked on updating videos of covered bridges and lighthouses collections, then finished the biography of George Lucas.

The isthmus as seen from John Nolen Rd. 8/7/23
I wrapped up watching Ted Lasso as well.  It took a while to get through the final season but it was worth the wait.  I thought the last four episodes redeemed the show as they neatly resolved several stories.  
 
The language on Lasso isn't family-friendly but the overall story line is in remarkably good taste.

At work, I spent time working on two writing projects and getting invitations in the mail for a donor appreciation event.  There was also time to knock off two continuing education classes.  There are a dozen left but most are 30 minutes or less.

Last night the Packers opened the preseason in Cincinnati with a win over the Bengals.  Green Bay looked good, although it's worth noting Cincinnati rested their starters while the Packers played their front-line players.

I liked what I saw on offense and defense.  New quarterback Jordan Love played well in his two series, driving the team to a touchdown.  The defense was impressive, even with the opposing starting QB sitting out, the Pack didn't give up an offensive touchdown.

I hope you have a great week!

Comments