My Week that Was - July 29

Heading out on a new rear tire Saturday. 7/22/23 dwm

Saturday morning after a short workout, I hit the road with a new tube and tire on the recumbent's back wheel. It worked great and seemed to give more grip than the previous tire.  
 
After stopping to get a picture along the Ice Age Trail in Verona, it was on to Lake Monona where I rode around counter-clockwise, hitting 36 miles by the time I returned home.

The big task that day was replacing the screen on our storm door.  
 
A few years ago while filling small holes in the exterior of the house, on the way inside, a bit of the spray touched the screen leaving a dollop behind.

One window and screen removed.
 I tried wiping it but the spray was permanent, leaving a mark that looked like a moth.  From my chair in the living room, if the screen was up, it bothered seeing the mark on our otherwise nice door which we bought shortly after purchasing the condo.
 
 A screen was ordered from the door maker.  After reviewing a YouTube how to do it video, I was able to do it following the video one step at a time. 

 It was a project outside my comfort zone and reminded me why I usually don't attempt such things.  It was an accomplishment removing two panes of glass, the damaged screen, then install a new one and see it work.
 
The clean screen. 7/22/23 dwm
Haze hung over Madison late Monday afternoon.  Winds blowing over Canada are again sending wildfire smoke over much of the northern United States.  

Several weeks ago, I could feel the smoke in my eyes.  Monday I wasn't outside long enough to notice but the bright sky with no discernible sun or clouds was strange.

A much-deserved shout out to my friends at Atkins Bike Shop.  I helped a neighbor transport her bike to the shop for repair.  The Atkins crew got it done,and our neighbor is back on the bike.

There was an unpleasant surprise when I walked into my office Tuesday; the unmistakable smell of a dead mouse.  There's no sign of it; I think it's inside a wall. 

Wednesday was better as my co-worker returned to the office for the first time since May.  It was nice to have her back and more convenient to discuss projects since we were together.  I'm just glad to see her improving.

Wild flowers. 7/23/2023 dwm photo
 Thursday was busy.  I can't identify everything I did as one project blended into the next from one hour to the next.  
 
 The first job was signing thank you letters and getting them in the mail.  The last job was preparing to deliver our donor newsletter.  For some reason the envelopes were out of order, which meant sorting them.  It wasn't fun but it's easier to get them into mailboxes.

 Friday morning was unusual.  I was at my desk, working the computer when a bell started ringing.  It took a few seconds to realize it was a fire alarm.

I picked up my phone, keys, and backpack, then headed outside.  A few minutes later a colleague arrived.  We couldn't see or smell any fire but the bell kept ringing.  Before the fire department arrived, I went back inside to unlock the pass-key accessible doors and directed them to the fifth floor.

The firefighters returned minutes later, giving us the OK to return to work.  Thankfully there wasn't smoke or fire but for several minutes things were pretty exciting.

I hope your week wasn't quite that exciting.  Before signing off, Happy Birthday, Matt; for the rest, I hope you have a great week!

Comments