My Week that Was - July 22

A blown tire ended my ride a mile early. dwm
  Back from vacation, I got back on my bike after a quick trip to the gym.  

 After picking up fuel at Kwik Trip, I was on my way on the Capital City Trail until it curved north toward Monona Terrace where I headed home on the Southwest Commuter path.

 I was thinking about my average speed for the trip as I came down the final hill, cranking it up to 25 miles per hour.

 Then I heard a shot-like, POP.  The air was out of the tire before I stopped.  

Fortunately there wasn't a car around at the time and I stayed upright, coming to a stop a mile from home.  I walked the bike, thankful I was OK and that it didn't happen earlier in the ride.  When I got back to the garage it didn't take long to find the problem.  There was an inch long scar on the tire where the the inner tube and tire exploded.  It's time for a new tire.

Over the years, I've come to appreciate returning from vacation with a day or two cushion before heading back to work.  It helps to settle in at home, make sure things are in order and review office email before going in to know what you missed.

It took a few days before I got the bike to the shop.  They pronounced me lucky the bike didn't crash and I wasn't hurt.  They put on a better tire and I'm riding as this post goes live.

Getting back to work mode after a week away was helped by the time I took Sunday catching up on work email.  There were 18 messages that required follow-up, most were done by noon on Monday.

Our second donor newsletter is almost ready to print, there were revisions to the first proof, I'm hoping they will be ready for delivery by the end of next week.

Yesterday there was a campus picnic on the west side of Madison.  It's to celebrate summer, appreciate efforts of employees, and acknowledge 75 years serving older adults in Madison.

Since my son and I went to the Brewer game in Minnesota, they have the best record in baseball.  I guess it took seeing a gut-punch of a loss to get the Brew Crew on the right path.  They are an extremely fun team to watch now, go Brewers!

Have a great week!

Comments