My Week that Was - June 24

Along the Hwy 12 trail. 6/17/2023 dwm

 The week started like the previous five, with an early morning ride.  This one was along U.S. Highway 12 from Middleton until it stopped seven miles south of Sauk City.
 
 After the ride I did some work around the house and wrote some future posts.  We also watched two movies.
 
 Flamin' Hot is the story of the man who invented Flamin' Cheetos and other spicy Frito-Lay products.  It's an interesting story, recognizing a maintenance worker in a plant who developed the new flavor.  It's currently available on Disney+.
 
Air was in theaters April 5 and recently became part of the Amazon Prime library.  It's the story of Nike's pursuit of Michael Jordan.  The benefit of hindsight makes it seem like the obvious partnership, however, Nike was a distant third behind Converse and Adidas when Jordan was considering which shoe to wear in the NBA.  
 
It's really a business movie about building relationships.  It's impossible to spoil the show for those who haven't seen it yet.  I found it fascinating to see the behind the scenes drama and how a gamble really paid off. 

Sunday was Father's Day.  I heard from both boys and we enjoyed a nice meal with the youngest son and his wife at Buck & Honey's in Monona.  The rest of the day was spent resting and relaxing, which is a good way to go after a busy week and the start of another coming up.

Monday and Tuesday were busy.  Over the last couple of weeks, I'm waking up even earlier, rolling out of bed around 4:30 and in the gym by 4:45.  The upside is I'm heading home at 6 and getting on with my day.  I wouldn't mind sleeping a bit longer, maybe 30 to 45 minutes, but right now the body clock seems programmed to ring after six hours.  

It's helpful, with this schedule, to get into work early and get the day started.  Tuesday was the deadline to submit my monthly column for the resident newsletter on Oakwood's east campus.  2023 is Oakwood's 75th anniversary.  Our "birth" day is July 8, 1948.  I used that as the basis for the article.

 A Mourning Cloak butterfly hanging out.
Wednesday morning there was a small winged creature on the driveway when I returned home.
 
It looks more like a butterfly than moth but I didn't get a good look at it.  I was glad I didn't pull my car into the driveway after working out.   
 
It was still there when I left for work, with my phone I took a couple shots then gently touched it and it took off, flying helter-skelter into a tree twelve feet above us. 

Wednesday evening, I looked up butterflies in Wisconsin and found one that looked similar, the Mourning Cloak butterfly.  

Wednesday was also notable as the last of 11 pizza parties on the Prairie Ridge campus.  It continues to be a good opportunity to meet with residents in a low-key setting. 

Thursday was a big day at work.  It was my first board meeting as executive director.  We had a full agenda, including a colleague sharing their perspective on how donor gifts impact the lives of residents.  After the meeting there were several projects I wanted to wrap up - writing 20 thank you notes; finalize a donor list; and select the best available photos for an upcoming publication.  

The last day of the week we were traveling... more on that in next week's blog!

Comments