My Week that Was - June 17

Sun framed by windmill. 6/10/2023 dwm

  Saturday was spectacular.  Sunday was cool and rainy.  Two sides of June in Wisconsin.
 
 After a quick workout, I rode past Paoli to reach the Kahl farm for breakfast.  After eating I headed back home and a road trip with a car instead of a bike.
 
 Spring Green is one of my wife's favorite places to shop for quilts and fabric.  It's not as close as I think she thinks it is but it wasn't a bad trip for the weekend.
 
 Back home, I hunkered down with a library book with just days before it would disappear from my Kindle.
 
It took a long time to get into A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but the more I read, the better it got.  The final 200 pages flew by and I had it finished and was working on book report number 5 Sunday night.
 
Monday was a big day at work.  I had a presentation, my first one in my new capacity of Foundation Executive Director, it seemed to go well, probably because I didn't speak long.  Like they say, always leave 'em wanting more.
 
I-94 west near Mauston. 6/13/2023 dwm
Tuesday I drove north to pick up our oldest son to attend that night's Brewer game in Minneapolis.  It's a
route traveled many times.  I came to know the Interstate between Janesville and Osseo quite well in the spring of 1993.

After losing my job with Channel 3 in the fall, I finally had a job up north starting in mid-March.  At the time the oldest son was in kindergarten so we decided to hold off moving until his school year ended.  In the meantime, I drove up Monday morning, stayed in an Augusta roadside motel through Thursday, then drove home after work on Friday.

The job was selling insurance and investments for Aid Association for Lutherans (now Thrivent Financial).  While I started with a base salary, it was work on commission.  It was the only job offer in hand, so I followed the path before me, which included I-90/94.

Rowdy Tellez gets to 1st base. 6/13/23
 Thinking about that time 30 years ago, I see the Lord's bountiful blessings in taking us to a good place to live and raise our family (our youngest was 3 when we moved).  I hadn't sold before and wasn't sure it would work out.  While I never got used to life on commission, it was a good job, especially rewarding due to the relationships made with clients across the territory.
 
 This trip was going father than Augusta.  After picking up our son, we headed to Minneapolis to watch our Brewers in Target Field.  It's a beautiful place to watch a game.  Our seats were a dozen seats down from the main concourse which had a variety of concessions opposite the seats.

 Wednesday, we headed back.  I was home early afternoon, had lunch, worked out (the hotel gym was under repair), and rested so I could return to work in the next morning.

 Thursday felt like Monday.  It was busy, with dozens of gifts and dozens of email to answer, but I survived and got a lot done.

Friday was special because news came that our administrative assistant who had taken several weeks off, was cleared to return next week.  There are a lot more steps to take before she's in the clear but it is a step in the right direction.

That's my unusual and busy week, I hope your next week is a good one!

Comments