Hostess Cupcake Day

Internet image of Hostess Cupcake
I bet you had a Hostess Cupcake at some point.  There is no argument they are better than homemade cupcakes but it is pretty awesome.

It's Hostess Cupcake Day May 11 because it was May 11, 1919 when the first Chocolate Cup Cake was sold by the Taggart Baking Company.

30 years later an employee added the signature squiggles on top and used Twinkies creme to create a surprise in the center.

In 1988, 400 million were sold.

The original chocolate cupcake is my favorite of all the types they offer today.  The correct way to eat it is upside down working down to the frosting 'cover.'

Another internet image

Suzy Q's were less successful treats than cupcakes.  The first time I enjoyed one was from a vending machine where my dad worked.  The Hostess cupcakes and other products I enjoyed were either bought individually or brought home from the store by mom.

What was a fun treat as a kid should only be an occasional indulgence as I get older. But I'll say lifting a Hostess cupcake in salute before taking a bite is a good way to celebrate the birth of Hostess Cupcakes. 

Comments