First Ride

First time on Bridge Mill Creek trail.
Three weeks ago I cleaned all the bikes in our garage and prepared them for the season.  Sunday the weather and timing finally came together for me to get on a bike and ride.

Saturday was mostly dry but I chose to get my recumbent into the shop so the bike computer is ready to go.  Atkins Bike Shop was packed when I took it in, so I left the bike to update when they have a moment.  I picked it up yesterday.

That's one reason I have a second bike, my trusty Schwinn Traveler, circa 1980.  I can't sit in the saddle for long distances (40+ miles) and my neck starts feeling it on short rides but up to 30 miles it's still perfect.

As I rode away from home I was wondered if this bike computer would work or if the battery died.  After a couple touches, the screen appeared and I was in business.

The next time I looked the mileage was less than I traveled.  One more tap and it worked from there, conservatively the trip odometer was a good mile behind, so that's the fudge factor on ride one.

A small bridge connects a neighborhood. dwm
 The trail through the valley (photo upper right) was cleared a couple years ago when Madison utilities rang a sewer line through the area for the municipal system.  

 Trees were cleared and a path paved through the open space.  Before that was a footpath as part of the Ice Age Trail that traces the southern limit of the last glacier.  A paved trail invites more users, whether in a wheelchair, stroller, on feet, or biking.

 This was my first time in Verona's backyard that cuts a long swatch across the city from east to south.  The Ice Age Trail brings a lot of people through town but a paved path undoubtedly increased pedestrian and bike traffic immensely.

A tree line protects the creek. dwm

The project which created this path has several impacts.  As a growing community, Madison at large and Verona specifically, it needs a safe way to handle waste and return clean water.  The area needs more recreational paths and land.  Finally, the land specifically is in need of work, removing invasive species and taking time to foster the oak tree savanna this area was known for before European settlement.

While much of the area is wilderness/wetlands, a sign of early settlement was a line of pine trees on the south side of the creek creating a wind break and visual barrier between areas.  

Bridge Mill Creek is ten to fifteen feet across and a foot deep.  During heavy rains, the wetlands absorbs and delays the water from running downhill.  It was calm and clear during my ride.

The path turned back into a residential neighborhood near a metal bridge connected to the Ice Age Trail.  It's a walking trail, a concept reinforced by exposed tree roots which make it difficult to ride.  The trail did level out and was firm enough to ride, which I did slowly until I was back on crushed limestone and rejoined the Military Ridge State Trail. 

The end of the paved trail and bridge over creek.
 From there I headed north to more of the paved portion that connects Verona to Madison.  It took me to another green space with a path.

 That was my turn-around for this shake-down ride as I powered my way up a few modest hills, then retraced my tracks back to Main Street.

 From there it was west on the state trail until I  intersected with a street that took me home.  

 Ride #1 is in the books with 15 miles on the Traveler for a late-start of bike season 2023.

All photos by David Mossner taken May 7, 2023.

Comments