PB & J

internet image
A perfect way to celebrate peanut butter and jelly day is with a PB & J sandwich.

The correct way is with creamy peanut butter but if you prefer chunky, there is no judgement, just sympathy.

This important day is always April 2 for reasons I didn't find.  Peanuts have always been around but peanut butter wasn't developed until late in the 19th century, debuting at the 1883 Chicago World's Fair.  

The sandwich is credited to a home economist in Boston who wrote up the recipe for a cooking magazine in 1901.  Julia Davis Chandler suggested currant jelly.  No, thank you.  

Peanut butter sandwiches became popular when loaves of bread came sliced starting in 1928, in part, because they were nutritious and kids could make them without help.  During World War II, Army rations included peanut butter, bread, and jelly. The troops liked the combination and brought the idea home.

A good peanut butter and jelly sandwich, for me, starts with buttered toast, a nice layer of Skippy creamy peanut butter and either grape or strawberry jelly (on occasion PB & Honey is a nice change).

I like PB & J sandwiches because they are simple and provide protein and energy.  While I frequently take leftovers for lunch to work, I try to keep a supply of Campbell's Soup-at-Hand (also known as Sipping Soup now) on hand and a box of Uncrustables in the freezer part of the office fridge.

Prep is easy, take the sandwich out one hour before eating and let it warm.  When I forget, I've discovered  opening one end of the bag and placing in the microwave 15 seconds gets it ready to eat.

I'm a latecomer to Uncrustables - the first time was the summer of 2022 when I packed some on the two-day Ride Across Wisconsin in my bike pack.  They were warmer than optimal but a great break when I needed one along the road.

Long live the PB & J!

Comments