My Week that Was - April 15

A downtown Beloit intersection. 4/8/23 dwm
  Saturday we took a road trip to Roscoe, Illinois a few miles south of the Wisconsin - Illinois border; it is home to a cross stitch store my wife wanted to check out.

 Unfortunately, the store did not know we were coming because it was closed.  A second choice was also closed but the third try, a vintage shop was open and had items she was interested in seeing.

 I enjoyed seeing areas of Beloit and Janesville I knew from 30 or more years ago and how they changed since then.

Sunday, after Easter services and lunch, I got to work on an outside project I've been considering a while.  We have a space the width of a sidewalk next to our driveway covered in stones.  

More new than old gravel. 4/13
Each year several weeds spring through the rock that I either pick or spray.  

The project?  Raking the existing rocks and dirt off, salvage as many stones as possible, lay a sheet of plastic to prevent weeds growing into the layer of rock, then return the original rocks and new bags of "pond pebbles."  

Pond Pebbles is what they are called at the local True Value.  I don't know what the difference is between pond and river pebbles other than river pebbles are smaller.  They don't match the existing rock but over time they will blend.  I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out.  One thing's certain, I'm not doing the job again!

Bad news about the nest on the ledge - on Wednesday there was no bird incubating the eggs.  Apparently the nest was abandoned and the eggs didn't develop.  Only one, unattended egg remains in the nest.  It's a sad story.
 
The nest on the ledge at the bitter end. 4/13/23
 Friday began with a a blood test at the doctor's to see if I need to stay on prescribed medication.  The draw didn't take long and didn't hurt, next up is learning the result.

 At the office, I had several people call (which doesn't happen often), while calling others and was able to set several appointments and print new flyers to replenish the supply in my east-side office.

 It's been an amazing week of weather in south Wisconsin with our first temperatures in the mid to upper 70s and even 80 Thursday and Friday. The first nice weather put smiles on faces and joy in people's hearts just like the first snowfall or hint of autumn.

That's my week, I hope you enjoy the changes and beauty around you this week!

Comments