My Week that Was - March 18

Some interior decor at Longhorn Steakhouse. 3/11/23
The week started with a book sale.  The Friends of the Verona Public Library is led by my wife.  She and her fellow board members, plus other volunteers were planning it for weeks.

We set it up Thursday evening in advance of the sale Friday and Saturday.  It was incredibly successful in moving a lot of donated books into new hands across the area.  

I only helped in advance of the sale by loading books onto racks so they could get wheeled into the big room where the sale happened.  It was so much fun, the Friends are planning for another sale in the fall.

After the sale, we celebrated at Longhorn Steakhouse.  It's the first time since Covid we've been there and it was a nice meal in an atmosphere we've not enjoyed very often post-pandemic.   

Moving Day included a truck w/hot beverages.

 Wednesday was moving day at Oakwood.  It was finally time for residents in skilled care and rehabilitation were moved into the brand new structure.

 All accounts I heard said the move went well.  The sunny day certainly created a welcome environment in the new Hebron because the building they left had few windows by comparison.

 A special treat for the day was a visiting food truck serving coffee, hot chocolate, and a variety of beverages to fuel workers, residents, and their families.  The hot chocolate I enjoyed was delicious.

 Wednesday was also my last work day as I used paid time off to watch the opening two days of the NCAA men's basketball tournament like I usually do.  It was busy because next week includes two important donor events and my first time at a high-level meeting.

Thursday and Friday planned days off although I was still checking email from work; I can't wait multiple days before checking for messages.  I did check a couple errands off my list Thursday before settling in to watch pieces of 16 first round games.

First was a trip to the auto parts store to replace a burnt out brake light.  The store wasn't able to help, so I headed to the dealership and had both brake lights replaced since I'm sure both were original with the car.  Then I stopped by the shop we purchased our heating and cooling system from several years ago; they do a spring and fall service call each year, making sure everything is working and it provides peace of mind that we're taking care of that big investment.

This week I saw the first robins around town.  The folklore is that it snows three times on the robin.  Technically it might have snowed overnight Thursday as there was some light snow frozen to my windshield that needed to be scraped before I could drive to the gym.

I enjoyed watching the first round of the tournament Thursday and Friday.  I didn't stay up each night until the last game was over, however, I was too tired for that.  There were quite a few upsets, including a 16-seed beating a 1-seed, which had happened only once since the tournament expanded to 64 teams.  I had thought my Alma mater, Drake, was going to the second round but they couldn't score over the last three plus minutes and Miami turned the Bulldogs over several times to pull out a win.

I hope your bracket is in good shape, have a great week!

Comments