By the Beach

A palmetto tree. 2/28/23 dwm
 Palmetto trees seemed to be everywhere I looked after we landed in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.  
 
 Palmettos are not palm trees.  Palm trees are taller (in photo, the palm tree behind the palmetto is much taller), have different types of leaves, and grow different fruit.  
 
 In South Carolina, the tree is part of the state flag and a big part of its history.  In 1776, Colonel Moultrie defeated the British when his fort, built with Palmetto logs, which were able to absorb British cannonballs.

 Palmetto trees are primarily decorative.  The water-resistant trunks are good for pilings to support piers and leaves can be weaved into mats or baskets. 

 My observation of these trees is that like some flowers you can cut them down or back and leaves will grow from the new top of the tree.  Information I looked up online about the palmetto tree indicates its buds are edible.

The Black Drum opened the week of my stay.
I didn't munch on a palmetto bud but I did find some good food at Myrtle beach.

Black Drum Brewing is a new restaurant within walking distance of the Hilton Myrtle Beach resort.  A large outdoor patio was bustling the evening I visited as temperatures touched the upper 70s that day.  

It looks similar to the craft brew-houses in Wisconsin except this one apparently is making their own beer according to my server.  The atmosphere was similar; it was friendly and featured a number of local foods.

I ordered the Carolina Pulled Pork with a side of hush puppies.  I'm not an expert on bar-b-Que so it's beyond me to explain the difference between Carolina bar-b-Que and the kind you get in Kansas City. 

Carolina pulled pork, hush puppies, and a beer.

 Hush puppies I'm familiar with, and oh my these babies were good!

 Hush puppies are made with a thick cornmeal based batter and fried so it's tender on the inside with a crisp exterior.

 It's name supposedly came when hunters threw the fried morsels at their hunting dogs to keep them quiet before the hunt, hence, "hush, puppies."

 At the hotel restaurant I had a wonderful turkey bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich for lunch on Sunday and liked the mini brisket sliders and bacon-wrapped scallops served at the conference welcome party. 

Comments