My Week that Was - February 25

Hyde's Mill in Iowa County, Wisconsin. 2/18/23 dwm
 Saturday morning we tried a new place for breakfast, the 1855 Coffee Shop in Mazomanie.

 "Mazo," as it's known is northwest of Madison on U.S. Highway 14 after passing through the communities of Cross Plains and Black Earth.  I wrote about the 1855 Thursday.  

 After eating, we headed southwest so my wife could replenish her fabric supply at a quilt shop in Fennimore. While I sat in the car waiting, I noticed a bald eagle but it was too fast to photograph. 

On the way back, we drove past Ridgeway, which is a small town on the Military Ridge State Trail close to Hyde's Mill which I started photographing during Covid.  It was a short detour to get a few winter shots.

Sunday Amazon delivered a 'honey do project.'  The job was installing a hand-held shower head to replace an older stationary one.  With a Channel-lock pliers, I removed the old head, installed the new one to see how it worked and if there was any dripping, then replaced it while sealing the connection with plumber's tape.  It went amazingly fast and seems to be working fine.  Whew!

Spring Primary Day
Monday went well.  It was sunny and warm for February.  It was so warm I saw a guy riding a motorcycle!  It was close-up because the young man on the bike was in such a hurry he need to pass me and a truck in the next lane, so he drove on the spotted line between two vehicles moving 50 miles per hour.  I hope he got where he was going, if he keeps riding like that there will probably be a time when he doesn't arrive.

Just six days ago I was sure what the word sprinkle meant.  It describes a light rain.  Monday, I heard a new definition.  A co-worker recently gave birth and I inquired whether anyone was putting a gift together for the baby and family.  

I was informed that was already done when a Sprinkle was held.  "What is that?" I asked.  The reply was that when a mom is expecting a second child you don't throw a baby shower, you throw a baby sprinkle!  I get the idea.  Mom and baby don't need as many things when the second one comes along but I imagine ten years in the future when siblings around the dinner table get into it over why the oldest had a shower and the second was only sprinkled.

Last Tuesday was election day.  I like getting to city hall before the polls open so I can vote and get to work.  I was fifth in line, and with one race on the ballot I was on my way in less than five minutes.

You expect snow in winter and for the sixth time in seven weeks we had a snow storm.  This week snow fell by the truckload in north Wisconsin with more than a foot in some places.  Around here we're in-between the heavy snow and ice storm.  Frozen rain fell and it got slippery but not as bad as it could have been.

Places as close as 30 miles south received heavier coatings of ice which toppled trees and power lines - a horrible combination.  I recall an ice storm in Indianapolis.  The weather guys forecast it, so I happened to be home in our third floor apartment watching cars driving down a hill slowly turn sideways as the tires had no traction.  It was like watching a slow dance and entertaining until one of those cars ran into our parked one.

The snow/sleet/frozen rain prompted me to work from home Wednesday afternoon.  That's where I learned my new laptop wasn't up to speed as some functions needed to work from home were not yet installed.

Our part of Dane County had freezing rain and a little snow.  It was a good thing I covered the windshield with a tarp, it made clearing the windshield a lot easier.  By the time I was driving to work the roads were fine.

Thursday evening was the second pizza party of the week.  The snow and ice cleared out in time to safely drive across town and there was a group of 20 residents ready to eat and ready to participate in my presentation.  That's three parties down, eight to go between now and June.

Friday was productive.  I made progress on an important project at work and have some things set for the next few weeks.

I hope your week was productive.  Stay safe and thanks for reading.  Make it a great week!

Comments