My Week that Was - January 21

Our breakfast place. 1/14/23
After breakfast Saturday, we returned home fortified to do battle with the basement.  
 
Last fall we thought about moving and started packing to prepare the condo for showing.  We stacked boxes we didn't expect to need in the basement.
 
Saturday we dug into those boxes to decide what we wanted and what could be given or thrown away.  By working together the job didn't take long and we rid our house of several boxes of clutter.  Yay!
 
After the basement, I settled in working on a slide presentation and blog posts.  Since we visited more than a dozen lighthouses last fall, it's time to update the presentation with new material and a different approach.
 
There were a couple good games during the opening weekend of the NFL playoffs, the Jaguars snatching victory from the jaws of defeat was surprising Saturday night and the favored Buffalo Bills sweated out a valiant effort by the scrappy Dolphins from Miami.

At the office, the focus was on writing the spring newsletter.  The goal is to keep the newsletter short, which requires getting the most out of every word.  That's not my general technique (as if you needed me to say), so I work on the drafts then let them rest before going back to edit.

The first three work days were warmer than usual, staying above freezing.  The recent heatwave has eliminated all but the most stubborn snow.  Snow was predicted to hit starting Wednesday evening but the question was whether it would hit us or just drop a couple inches.

At the gym this week I saw quite a few new faces.  That's typical in January, the question is whether we see them again in February and March.  For reasons I don't understand, I'm getting up even earlier for the workouts.  I was usually walking in around 10 or 15 past five, now I'm starting before five a.m. 

On one hand it's nice because I'm heading home around 6, on the other, I could use an extra 15 or 20 minutes of sleep.  There are no alarms jarring me out of bed, I'm just waking up.  Maybe you know the feeling?

Middleton, WI. 1/19/2023
 We got heavy, wet snow Wednesday night into Thursday morning.  In Verona we had maybe two inches that melted to one inch and was gone by the end of the day.
 
 A little farther north, in Middleton, snow was piled high and deep.  I'd guess they received nearly four inches.  
 
 We can use it.  After a couple weeks of no snow cover it was nice to see everything white.  Nights are brighter with snow illuminating entire neighborhoods.

 I made progress updating the lighthouse presentation. 
 
 It's titled, A Dark and Stormy Night, with apologies to Snoopy.  You may recall that when he set out to write the great American novel, it always began, "It was a dark and stormy night." For lighthouses, dark and stormy nights are the reason they were built in the first place and creates a nice place to start talking about lights.

Friday evening we watched Devotion on Paramount+.  It is very good, based on a true story during the Korean Conflict.  While the characters are Naval aviators gearing up for the Cold War getting hot, the story is about the struggle and relationships of Jesse Brown.  It was a story I was unaware of, which is a good reason to watch, I believe you'll enjoy it.

The first library book arrived via Kindle this week.  I'm halfway through Code Talkers, a story I've heard but didn't know.  It seems like something I needed to read; halfway through, it's an easy read and provided appreciation for the Navajo-American Patriots who served our country.

We're heading into the last full-week of January, it's getting easier to see spring on the horizon.  Have a great week!
 
All photos by the author.

Comments