Cup o' Tea

Internet image

It's National Hot Tea Day. 
 
It's the second most popular drink in the United States, behind coffee.  Discovered more than 5,000 years ago when tea leaves fell into a pot of boiling water being prepared for the Chinese Emperor.  He liked it and it became a thing (perhaps it went viral).

I couldn't tell you how long tea has been part of my life because it's always been part of my life.

As far back as I can remember, there was hot tea in a cup for breakfast.  Dad drank hot tea and so did I.  He usually put honey in his tea.  I had two heaping teaspoons of sugar in mine.

As I got older I continued to drink hot tea, ordering at restaurants.  The server brought a pot or carafe of hot water and tea bags.  I let the bags steep in the hot water then would scoop the bag up with the spoon then wind the string around the bag in the spoon to wring out the last drops of tea.

My boss in the Aid Association for Lutherans insurance agency I worked in was amazed at how I drank tea.  I wasn't sure how it was so unusual because it was how I always drank it.  I don't drink it as often these days but maybe I should since its healthier than the Mountain Dew/Diet Dew combination I prefer.

Just the ritual of making a cup of tea is relaxing.  Even with a hot water dispenser on our sink you can't drink it fast.  It takes real hot water to make the tea and sweeten it, then time spent waiting before you can enjoy without burning your tongue or lips.

I'm pretty vanilla when it comes to tea.  I go with Lipton or a black tea of some sort.  Dad was much more adventurous.  His routine when asked what tea he wanted at a restaurant was to reply, "Surprise me."  I don't go for surprises in that area.

Lightly sweetened tea is refreshing and goes with nearly everything.  I like to say I drink coffee 'professionally' but enjoy a nice cup of hot tea or glass of iced tea.  However, when it comes to iced tea the best method to brew that is southern style with a syrup of sugar spun into hot tea that cools gradually or as it's poured into a glass of ice.

You probably have a tea bag at home or the office - take a moment to boil water, let the tea bag steep a bit, cool, and enjoy.  It's the drink of the day.

Comments