Wisconsin Lights - LaPointe and Chequamegon Point

The LaPointe Lighthouse. 9/22/2022 dwm
According to LighthouseFriends.com the best way to see the LaPointe Lighthouse is to take a boat past it.  It is one of two lights at the end of a long sand bar that extends from the other side of the bay, almost sealing off Chequamegon Bay.
 
Prior to 1970, the light was on Long Island but sand filled in the gap between the island and a narrow peninsula extending west from Wisconsin.  Current maps show no roads to the lighthouse.
 
When we arrived in Bayfield, we stopped at the National Parks Apostle Islands Lakeshore office to see if there was any location where someone could see the lighthouse.  I was told it wasn't possible.
 
When I looked at a map of the islands, it showed a road on Madeline Island that came to a dead end at the beach almost directly across from the LaPointe light.  There was no way to know from the map if there was a house, trees, or private property in the way.
 
Our last full day in Bayfield, we took the ferry over to the island to take in the sights.  After lunch, we drove out Old Fort Road to where it came to a dead-end.  I parked, grabbed my camera and tripod and headed to the beach.  I was thrilled to see the LaPointe Lighthouse was straight across from where I was standing.
 
The existing tower dates back to 1897. 9/22/2022 dwm
 I'm not sure how far it was across the water, at least a mile, maybe more.  It was close enough to shoot, joining other island lights I photographed from a distance, like the Helena, South Manitou, and Round Island lighthouses.

 Later that day, when we drove around Bayfield visiting orchards, I discovered the LaPointe lighthouse was visible from the top level of the barn at the Superior View Farm (see photo further below).
 
 The tower is the third light directing ships to turn west around Madeline Island and reach the port there or at Bayfield.  It went in service in October 1897.
 
This was just a random photo until... 9/22/22 dwm
Also in 1897 another light went into service, called Chequamegon Point.  Based on its location and the maps I looked at, there didn't seem to be any way I could see it without renting a boat or plane.  
 
At the end of our visit to Madeline Island, we were at the front of the line waiting for the Ferry to return and take us back across the water to Bayfield.  Some of the photos I took looked south over water to land in the distance.

Upon further review on my laptop, I wondered if the land behind what looked like a boat wreck wasn't Chequamegon Point.  I zoomed in, and found proof.

The top of lantern is barely visible above the trees. dwm

 If you look at the end of arrow, you will see the lantern of the Chequamegon Point lighthouse, which is like many of the other pier head and breakwater lights we've seen on the Great Lakes.

 A modern cylinder lighthouse stands closer to the actual point where it warns boats of shallow water.

 According to its LighthouseFriends.com webpage, the Coast Guard plans to remove trees around the light so its more visible.  I think that's a great idea.

Making contact with both of these lights from a distance was a victory and allows me to check them off my list.  A boat ride the day before our trip to Madeline Island was altered due to winds on Lake Superior that turned a tour around 3 lighthouses to only 1.  You'll see that light next week.

The view from Superior View Farm - the white tower on the sand bar is the LaPointe lighthouse.






The house near the light is the old home for light keepers.

The closer zoom blurs the focus but gives a better look at the old and new lanterns. 9/21/22 dwm

Click here to see more of my lighthouse visits.

Comments