Path through the Fog

Foggy morn at Old Presque Isle. 9/16/19 dwm

We drove back from Iowa Saturday after attending the funeral of a friend from our college days.  

As we approached Dubuque there was snow on the ground.  Combined with temperatures in the mid to upper 30s the moisture in the snow and heat in the atmosphere created a layer of ground fog.
 
It was alternately light and heavy depending on if we were driving through a cut in the hills or over open country.  
 
The photo at right shows very light fog as the morning sun rises.  The sun set as we drove through Dubuque and there was occasional precipitation ranging from mist to drizzle.  Thankfully it wasn't freezing.

The dark made it impossible without the occasional road sign to know where we were.  Those signs weren't a big help either because you couldn't read them until you were on top of them (not literally).

Our candle in the darkness, our guiding lights, were two small red lamps. 
 
The two dim lights less than an 1/8th mile ahead were on the back of a trailer hauling goods to Walmart.  It was very reassuring to see the lights.  If I crept a little closer I could make out the Walmart emblem on the back doors, I matched my speed to the truck, when it traced the arc of a curve I knew what was coming and confidently followed its tire prints.

Eventually we caught slower traffic and my light-keeper was gone.  On my own it was more difficult, I slowed to avoid surprises.  Then a couple cars caught up to me and I was able to tuck in behind and use the light of another leader to take us home.

That 90-minute stretch required concentration and driving with higher awareness of conditions.  After we got home, unpacked, and relaxed; I offered a prayer of thanks for our safe trip and the people who showed us the way.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

Comments