My Week that Was - December 3

First trip back post-Covid. 11/26/22

Saturday morning we returned to Monty's Blue Plate Diner for the first-time since Covid changed our lives.  

Monty's is one of our favorite places.  It's on the east side of Madison just a mile or two above the spot where the north shore of Lake Monona curves south.

The diner is a former gas station, with a lunch counter, a dozen booths, and several tables.  It's a friendly atmosphere with great food and a wide selection.  I was a happy camper with two fluffy buttermilk pancakes and glass of chocolate milk.

The Wisconsin football team lost it's final game to Minnesota in a renewal of the longest rivalry in college football.  Less than 24 hours later, Badger fans were surprised to learn the next full-time head coach was coming from the University of Cincinnati.

Luke Fickell played and served as an assistant coach at Ohio State, and served as an interim head coach when a change was made.  His first head coaching job at Cincinnati and was very successful, as he led his team to the College Football Playoffs in 2021.  It was the first time a non Power Five conference school made it.

I was hoping Jim Leonhard would take over the reins but Fickell is a great hire.  I'm excited to see what he does.

Sunday the disappointment continued with the Green Bay Packers as their defense was blown apart by Philadelphia.  The Pack scored more points than any other game, which was promising but if you can't stop the other team, you won't win.

Back-up quarterback Jordan Love had his first playing time when Aaron Rodgers left with an injury in the the third quarter.  He looked better than he has in other regular action.  Green Bay is practically out of playoff contention, while still mathematically alive for a spot.  Once eliminated, there is a thought Love could play so the team can decide which direction to go in 2023.

The Packers have had two Hall of Fame worthy QBs with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.  It seems unlikely they have a third Hall of Famer in the wings.  Every fan hopes that's the case, it will be interesting to see if it's true.

Season's Greetings on display at home. 11/28/22

 Over the holiday I brought up boxes of Christmas decorations.  Saturday I set up the tree.  Sunday and Monday, my wife spun her magic decorating our home with a seasonal glow.

 For the first time in many years we have a collection of special Christmas cards featuring medallions lined across the mantel and gilded with small rice-size lights.

 It was a five-day work week with special events Thursday and Friday.  The Foundation was one of several tables providing information for employees as they reviewed and assessed their options.

 We participate to make staff members aware of ways donors impact the workplace and give them an opportunity to join co-workers in serving and supporting the people who live on our campuses.

At the first special event, while setting things up, my reading glasses fell out of my pocket and I stepped on them.  One lens popped out.  The frame bent and the hinges damaged beyond repair.  I didn't need to read a lot that afternoon but when I did it was difficult.  

Friday morning I dropped off the Prius for its regular service.  Everything checked out, I should be good for the next 5,000 miles.  Last night I started the annual Christmas newsletter, the goal is to get it in the mail before the end of the new week.

There are only 22 days until Christmas - have a great week!

Comments