My Week that Was - December 10

Our 2022 tree. 11/28/22 dwm
 It was quite a week. 

 Saturday was normal.  We went to breakfast, afterwards I headed to Janesville to attend the funeral of a friend's father.  Then it was back home to watch college football.

 A little after nine, I noticed I wasn't feeling good.  Then I got sick.  No big deal, it's happened before.  No fever, no upset stomach.  I went to bed, only to be up an hour later, light-headed, struggling to reach the bathroom.  After the third, I knew I wasn't working out.  After the fourth, I wasn't going to church and unlikely to do much that day.

 I lost track how many times I vomited.  My wife was on the phone with the nurse at the emergency room, who suggested I get down there.  It seemed to me that being upright was triggering the nausea, so I reasoned that if I remained horizontal, I was OK.   

Also, the Packer game was on and I didn't want to leave in the middle of it.  

Yes, I know how stupid that sounds.  By the way, Green Bay won and now has more wins than any NFL team in history, passing the Bears (the team they beat Sunday).  It wasn't a pretty game, especially in the first half but the Packers fought back and displayed resiliency in their effort.  The team is still a long way from the post-season and hopes are hanging by a thread.

After the game, I went downstairs.  The half-dozen or more trips to the bathroom drained me and I knew it was time.

I got sick going through security and again when the physician assistant asked about my problem.  At that, she said, "let me get you some anti-nausea medication."  The plan was already in place to get me fluids so after a line was placed, the nurse added medication to the I.V. 

The nurses and doctor at the University of Wisconsin Hospital emergency room were kind and thorough.  It took an hour for the first liter to drip.  Following that, I was talking with the doctor when I got sick again.  Order up another liter and more anti-nausea medication, with a faster drip this time. It did the job.  We headed home six hours after arrival.  (By the way, all this, according to the doctor was caused by either the stomach flu or a virus and I couldn't return to work until 24 hours with no symptoms.)

My wife was exhausted.  Protocols at the E.R. segregate patients and family, so our only communication was via text.  It was a grueling time, more for her than me.  I managed to doze while receiving the first liter of fluid. She is a champion, my champ, putting up with me when I get a touch stubborn (I know you're surprised by that).

We walked in the door before 10.  I headed to bed, she got something to eat.  

Monday I woke up feeling better.  I texted my boss from the ER so I spent the day recuperating.  I've never been sick like that, I hope it doesn't happen again.  I'm thankful for God's love and the care and healing delivered by doctors, nurses, and the medical team.

Tuesday I returned to the gym.  It was like I never worked out.  I did a short round of exercise and weights then walked on the treadmill.  Check, please.  I didn't have a lot of energy at work but did get caught up on what I missed, each day after got better.

Wednesday was the first of two campus holiday parties for Oakwood employees.  The parties are designed so employees have an opportunity to enjoy some of it and receive their bonus check.  It was fun getting reacquainted with colleagues and meeting new co-workers. 

My role was recruiting residents to distribute checks; it was a pre-Covid tradition and wonderful to revive it this year.  The second party was yesterday, it was equally fun and a great start of the holiday season.

Enjoy some yuletide cheer, make this a great week, and mail your holiday cards soon!

Comments