In the Mail

Winter 9 years ago. 12/14/2013 dwm photo
 As we slide into winter there are rites and practices we need to do for our season to proceed correctly.

 Monday one of those rituals was a trip to the Post Office.  I had a package to send overseas.  While I had the contents, I didn't have a box.

 Judging by the selection inside the post office, I wasn't sure the men and women in uniform did either.  The small Priority Mail package was too small.  The medium package was too big.

 I found a padded envelope that held the contents, so I got in line and waited.  Several minutes later I reached the counter and pointed out the envelope is new.

"Look, I need you to step out of line and address the envelope before I can help you."  Publicly shamed, I asked for a pen then stepped to a counter in the back where I filled in the 'sendee' and 'recipient' blocks.  I turned to the counter then looked back at the line.  It was five people deeper than when I arrived.  That's when I heard, "Sir, I can help.  You don't need to get back in line."

"Yes," was my silent cheer as I stepped in front of the clerk at the other end of the three-person counter.  I made it further but still wasn't done when I learned custom forms needed to be finished.  

The quickest way to ship the package was also a good price.  I completed the transaction, received a receipt and headed to the car.  

As I left another man came in pushing a laundry cart loaded with wrapped Christmas packages.  There was no way the Post Office had the right size boxes to mail all of them.

Comments