My Week that Was - November 19

The Merrimac ferry arriving on the north side.

 Saturday my wife was leading and taking part in "Crafternoon" at our church, so I drove north to shoot two covered bridges I recently learned were in Waupaca County.
 
 I left at 7:30, arrived at the first bridge a little after 10 and was heading home from the second just after 11.  It was a cold and blustery day with the first snow "showers" of the season.  Nothing stuck but it was a reminder that summer days are past.
 
 While I was home in time to watch the Badgers play Iowa, the Hawkeyes dominated the game.  I fared better Sunday afternoon when the Packers broke a six-game losing streak thanks to the defense of Rudy Ford and breakout offensive performance by rookie receiver Christian Watson.  Aaron Rodgers looked like his old self, driving Green Bay to a tying score, then leading the team to the winning points in overtime.  

It was only the first game of the week, for the Pack to really turn-it-around, they need to find a way to victory Thursday night.

Monday started with an 8:15 donor appointment.  That was rescheduled a few hours later after the 9 and 10 o'clock visits.  On the drive home I saw a sun or solar pillar.  As the sun was setting a clear pillar of light - hues of yellow, red, and orange - rose high in the sky.  There wasn't a good place to pull over and take a picture, so the image will have to last in my brain.

First measurable snow 11/15/2022 dwm
Tuesday we received the first measurable snow of the season.  It started early and continued all day.  Roads and sidewalks were too warm for snow to accumulate which creates a perfect winter scene with snow on the grass and trees while the to-be-shoveled areas stay clear.  By Wednesday we had three inches.
 
The first couple snows are exciting.  Beautiful.  Romantic.  The ones after that, stretching to spring are endured.
 
This is earlier than usual for the first snow of an inch or more.  On average it arrives November 25, so we're 10 days ahead of schedule.

Out my office window. 11/15/22
 Snow does all kinds of interesting things, one of the least heralded is that it brightens the dead of night.  Snow not only reflects sun rays during the day, at night it reflects any light, from houses, street lamps, or the moon.  Wednesday morning it was much easier to make my way to the car because the light bouncing off the snow guided my feet.

 At the end of Wednesday, I took part in culture club which is asking for employee input into embracing, enhancing, and passing on the best parts of working at Oakwood.  It was my first time attending.  I'm not sure what I can contribute but I like the idea of helping us hold on to as many employees as possible.
 
  While I recently read about a professor at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee prove that momentum is a real thing during football games, it apparently doesn't carry over from one game to the next.

 Thursday night's home game with the Tennessee Titans wasn't as horrific as a few of this year's losses but a bitter pill to swallow after three days of sunshine following the Dallas win.  The defense stopped the Titans running game but opened the door for a passing attack.  The offense was off much of the evening, not able to take advantage of several opportunities and Packer weather with cold temperatures and snow.

Green Bay doesn't play until a week from tomorrow, Sunday night in Philadelphia.  The Eagles have the best record in the NFC so the Pack better tie their shoes and buckle up.

The holiday season is upon us, Thanksgiving is five days away - please come back for my 'on and off' tradition of an acrostic composition, it goes live at 7:30 Central time.  In the meanwhile, have a great week!

Comments