My Week that Was - October 22

The Tenney lighthouse on Lake Mendota. 10/15/22

 My week started with a plan to ride at least 48 miles.  It was colder than I prefer but thankfully it was sunny.  After my regular workout and some work around the house, it was in the low 40s when I headed out the driveway.  (Read more about the ride here.)
 
 Just a day later it was the same temperature but clouds hid the sun making it feel colder than Saturday.  I am glad I rode when I did.
 
 It was a gloomy Sunday to be a Packer fan, one of the worst in 30 years.  The offense couldn't sustain a drive; the special teams had two critical mistakes; and the defense failed to make a momentum-changing play to give the team a chance.
 
Looking at game results are usually done through the lens of which team you support.  I'll say the New York Jets are a rising team and much better than they have been.  Still, the Packers have Aaron Rodgers taking snaps at quarterback.  An offensive line thought to have two of the best tackles in the game and more quality defenders than the team has had since 2010.
 
You can't reach a conclusion on the season today - it's too soon.  However, players, team management, and fans all probably expected to be 6 - 1 after playing the two New York teams, instead the Pack is 3 - 3.  Coach Matt LaFleur had never lost back to back regular season games before Sunday; it would be a good idea to end the losing streak at two.
 
Monday at my new office on the east campus, there was a four-drawer filing cabinet waiting for me.  Around appointments, I moved stuff from the desk and from several boxes and sorted things in to working order in the four drawers.  It felt more like home immediately.
 
Tuesday was extraordinary in terms of phone calls - I made 17 calls, reached 15 people, and secured 6 appointments.  That is a once every three months kind of circumstance.
 
Wednesday I went back to the east campus office and was delighted to find two chairs in my office.  In order to meet people occasionally, I needed a place for them to sit.  Since that won't happen often, it was also important to get the chairs out of the way when not needed.  

Thursday, Oakwood residents organized a free-cycle event.  It's essentially a swap meet.  Bring things you don't want or can't use anymore that are still functional; take things that interest you or can fill a need in your life or home.  After several weeks of serious down-sizing, I did my best just to look but did add a bobble head to the lineup on my work desk.  Corbin Burnes is the only pitcher in my bobble head lineup.  I also picked up an unopened box of Christmas cards.

It was the last day I gave a rickshaw ride in 2022.  The weather was perfect with a light breeze and plenty of sunshine to enjoy the autumn colors. 

Yesterday was my 126th blood donation.  It went very well.  The phlebotomist, Rev, was excellent, with a confident poke that was on target.  This was my third consecutive time using my right arm.  Phlebotomists prefer my left but without occasional breaks the scar tissue buildup makes the poking painful.  

If you haven't given or haven't given in a while, consider making an appointment or showing up at a blood drive this week.  You'll be glad you did, a little pain will never feel so good.

Comments