Autumn Rides

Lower Yahara River Trail. dwm

It was a spectacularly cool weekend splashed with sunshine, perfect for riding.
 
We had a killing frost Friday, so Saturday morning was too cold for an early ride.  I waited a couple hours after breakfast (and got some chores done) before jumping on the bike.
 
My total miles through October 1st was 875, which is why I got in 25 last Sunday.  With just 100 needed to reach 1,000; my goal was set.

Just a mile into the ride I was glad I dressed for the chill.  A long-sleeve T-shirt under a long-sleeve jersey; tights; and a trusty pair of gardening gloves worked just fine.

I headed across the south side of Madison on the Military Ridge, Cannonball, Capital City, and Lower Yahara River trails from Verona to McFarland, turning around when the odometer read a couple tenths over 16 miles.  The trip took an hour, my average speed 16.9 mph.  I expected the return trip to be slower, thinking I was riding into the wind.
 
A boardwalk lines the north side of Lake Waubesa
 Less than a mile west-bound, I discovered it was a cross-breeze rather than in my face; the return trip average speed was a touch under 16.

 You could see Woolly Bear caterpillars inching their way across the bike paths both days.  There weren't a lot so I was able to avoid mishaps on the 32 mile ride.

 Sunday, the Packers were playing early, so I rode off my frustration when the final gun sounded.
 
 We had things to do in the afternoon, so I kept it short,  making my way up the west side looking for a turning point that would put at least 20 miles on the bike.
On Marty Road in Madison. 10/9/22
 
There are stretches of some roads (not Marty Road right) where the asphalt has 'seams' with two-inch deep cracks.  Each seam creates a noticeable thud felt by bike and rider every time, it's annoying and slowed me down.
 
The last two afternoon rides reminded me what I prefer rides around sun-up.  However, trading cold for less busy roads isn't great if you can't feel your fingers.
 
I'm sitting at 952 miles, depending on how the season ends, I hope to cover the last 48 miles some time before the 31st.

All photos taken October 8 and 9, 2022 by David Mossner.

Comments