My Week that Was - August 13

Hot, humid, and hazy August 6, 2022

This week started quieter than the previous one which featured a trip to Boston, three work days, and a trip to State Fair.

Last Saturday was hot and humid with the misery index  close to 100 degrees.  

My strategy was to get out early to beat the heat.  Humidity hung in the air as fog covered water, wetlands, and low ground.  As I rode some areas had a moist chill with sauna-like conditions in other places.

Just a few days earlier I picked up the recumbent from Atkins Bike Shop, this was my first time back on the bike.  The most noticeable difference was with higher gears since the rear cassette was replaced.  The chain ring for the upper gears doesn't have as many teeth to grip the chain.  The previous cassette wore down causing it to misbehave.  The bike performed much better at cruising speed, which is great.

Downtown Capital City trail.
 I took the Capital City Trail around and into Madison before branching off on another path to connect with surface streets around Lake Mendota.  It was 43 miles at the finish line just before 9 as the temperature hit a sticky 80.

 We received close to two inches of rain Sunday into Monday.  As far as I know our drought is over but we still need rain.  We just don't need more than two inches at a time, which doesn't soak in, instead it runs off taking soil with it.

 Tuesday was election day.  Our polling place changed.  No, we didn't move.  At the previous one I was usually among the first three in line to vote.  At city hall I've been 6th or 7th.  Once the polls opened the line moved quickly, I was heading to work by 7:10.
Verona City Hall.
 
 Late Tuesday I went to the eye doctor for an annual exam.  My eyes are actually improving.  

I have two pairs of contact lenses to try over the next couple weeks, I'm curious to see how they feel.  My current prescription has served me well and is still the best deal, so it is likely I'll stick with it.

Thursday was a perfect day to give rickshaw rides however there weren't many takers.  I've noticed over the years we see more passengers when it is closer to 90 than 75.  

A random thought from our recent flight... after we landed at Logan Airport the plane came to a stop while the pilot waited for a gate to open.  During that time, attendants told passengers to remain seated.  If we were walking on the plane it could not move.  That got me thinking, why is it unsafe to walk on a plane while it is on the ground but OK to walk down the aisle 29,000 feet in the air?

In McFarland
 Friday was notable for a couple things: first, it was the first time since April sunrise happened after 6 AM; second, it was so cool thanks to cloudy skies and light rain we didn't reach 70!  That doesn't happen in August very often.

 Last evening we joined our youngest and his wife for dinner at the Maple Tree Supper Club in McFarland.  It was the first time I ordered fish at a Friday Night Fish Fry in a long time.  It was very good.  

 The restaurant was bustling with energy and good vibes as couples and families celebrated the end of the work week and the start of a weekend.

 Have a great week!    All photos by David Mossner.

Comments