Early On, Early Off

Thunderheads grow Saturday morning. 7/23/22
When it's hot and humid there is a good chance thunderstorms will develop.  Storms were in the forecast overnight Friday into Saturday, but our area was dry.

As I woke around 5:15 the weather app indicated clear skies for at least a few hours so I got dressed, filled a water bottle, and inflated the trusty Schwinn Traveler's rear tire to 80 p.s.i.

Why didn't I inflate the front tire?  Well, that's a blog-worthy story (which I've probably shared but it was likely some time ago).

My parents bought the Traveler 10-speed for me spring of my junior year in high school.  I came down with chicken pox just before spring break which cancelled the trip Dad and I planned and the bike became a consolation prize.

Just a short time later, Dad showed me an advertisement in one of his favorite magazines, Popular Mechanics, that offered never-flat inner tubes.  Dad clipped the ad, wrote a check and sent it off - a month or so later we installed them on the bike.  

More than 20 Sandhill cranes huddle overnight.
 I recall they worked well for a while and it was nice not having to worry about flats.  Over time, the rear tube didn't do the job and it felt 'mushy' when I was riding.  

 Later, I replaced the rear tube with a conventional inner tube that could handle the pounds of pressure needed to ride streets, paths, and trails.  The front tire has never been changed... in 40 years!

 Yesterday I was on my way just before sunrise (5:40 am) appreciating the relative cool and noticing some building clouds in the distance.  There was a thunderstorm alert to our south (we need the rain) but nary a drop fell while I was riding.

Over the last month I've noticed a large flock of Sandhill Cranes in a vernal pond around sunrise.  There are no signs of them an hour later.  I suspect they like the shallow water because it isolates them from potential predators.  45 minutes after taking the photo above left, I was along McCoy Road near County Highway MM when a pair of Sandhills flew less than 10-feet above me on their way to breakfast.  I don't know they were in the earlier pond but it's a better story.

I was riding the Schwinn because my Volae wasn't out of the shop.  The Traveler is going to come along on a couple trips later this year so I want to be used to it and be sure it is ready to ride.

The Schwinn is also a strong reminder why I got the recumbent in the first place.  After 31 miles on the Traveler, I can feel it in my neck, wrists, and backside; all areas that remain pain-free on the user-friendly Volae Expedition.

All photos by the author July 23, 2022.

Comments