Word on the Street

Sign next to the 5K route.
4/30/2022 (dwm)
 I've run the Word on the Street fun run since 2016.  This year was the first time leaving the starting line with a group of runners since 2019 as last year's event was a socially distanced, run by yourself race and in 2020 it was virtual.

 I prefer running with people around me.  There was one person who caught my attention.  A little guy, less than four-feet tall, who was in front of me a long time.

 It was near the two-mile mark when I got close enough to ask a friend of his what the story was... it turned out the little guy is 7.  Two people, presumably his parents, were riding bikes alongside and stopping to encourage him.  He was impressive, I think we might see him in the Olympics, maybe in 2032.

Runner crossing the finish line.
4/30/2022 dwm photo
In the socially distanced 2021 run I only saw a couple people in passing.  I didn't pass anyone and no one passed me.  There were a number of people pass me, especially early, and I got past a couple runners in the last mile.

Rain was in the forecast, but it didn't rain hard, mostly sprinkles for our 8 am start.  It was windy and that added a degree of difficulty while turning down the temperature.

It felt like my pace was steady.  My racing bib partially detached during the run, so I was told to check in with the race organizers to make sure it was recorded.  They told me I was just under 30 minutes, which was my goal.

Word on the Street is a fundraiser for the Verona Library's endowment fund.  Since my better half is active with Friends of the Library I'm automatically registered, my favorite part is that the gun goes off at 8, so if I'm running my pace, I should be home by 9.  At least that's the word on the street.

(I learned my finishing time Monday, May 2 - 29:54, good enough for third in the men's 55 -59 age group.)

Comments