My Week that Was - May 28

Capital City Trail - 5/22/2022

My first ride was in Grand Rapids on my Schwinn 10-speed.  My first Madison ride of the season on my Volae recumbent was last Sunday.

Our son and his wife moved to the Madison area recently, so while my wife drove to deliver a meal while they settled in, I pedaled across the city to welcome them to MadTown.

It 90 two straight days during the first week of May.  This week temperatures were below average.  It was a cool and breezy 62 when I set out Sunday morning, thankful for my long-sleeve jersey.

The wind seemed to be coming from the west, except when it wasn't.  There were a number of times as I rode west to east that I had a strong cross and head winds.

There weren't many active birds and animals -  a majestic Great Blue Heron was sharing a small pond with two drake Mallard ducks; I avoided a small turtle a long-ways from water; and happened upon a turkey before it vanished in the brush.

Solar-powered kiosk
 
On the way to the trail I stopped by the bike shop to get a pass only to discover it's now closed on Sundays.

Technology was the answer.  Solar-powered stations accepted credit card payments for either a daily or season pass.  After the transaction it printed a receipt for the rider with a stub to complete and return in exchange for an actual full-season pass sent by mail.  

I was skeptical about the machine and was wrong.  There were just a few buttons to press, a card to swipe, and a receipt to collect; color me impressed.

My office had a pleasant surprise for me Tuesday.  After Christmas, the administrative assistant covering the front desk at Oakwood suggested I take one of the poinsettia plants since the holiday was finished.

The Christmas flower May 24, 2022. (dwm)
I placed it next to my office window and watered it.  Actually, I gave it too much water at first, almost
drowning it.  Finally I figured out the right amount of benign neglect and it began to flourish.  This week I noticed new leaves, green and red.

It's a plucky plant.  Three weeks ago the valance above the window blinds fell and severed one of its branches,  I think it helped!

Wednesday I heard from one of the places where I shared presentations on Bucky Badger, covered bridges, and lighthouses.  They asked if I might present some of my favorite photos.  It sounds like fun.

Thursday we received much needed rain.  It came down hard for several minutes multiple times late afternoon and early evening which may not be helpful for crops, they aren't called 'gully-washers' for nothing.

Friday the new short series released the first two parts of Obi-Wan-Kenobi on Disney+.  The first two pick up the story after Episode III of the Star Wars and, I expect, fill in the gap leading up to Episode IV - A New Hope (which folks my age remember as the first Star Wars film.  No spoilers here, I'll say it's off to a good start.

Be sure to take time to observe Memorial Day this weekend and have a good week!

Comments