Celebrate the Chip!

A magnificent cookie! 9/30/2016 (dwm)
It's National Chocolate Chip Cookie day, so let's celebrate the chip!

According to its Wikipedia page, the chocolate chip was crafted in 1937 by Ruth Graves Wakefield when she cut up chunks of Nestle chocolate bars to throw in the bowl while she made cookies while chef at the Toll House Inn.  That's why Nestle makes Toll House chips.

Ms. Wakefield was on the mark with this new development, for my money nothing beats a good chocolate chip cookie.  

I like a little crisp on the outside, soft center and lots of chips.  Thin, crisp chocolate chip cookies are also good.  There is a shortbread version my wife makes that tops the list of 10-best chocolate chip cookies.

My age when mom taught me how to make chocolate chip cookies isn't clear, other than I know it happened in the house we moved into before third grade.  I'd guess I was 12 the first time, I probably ate more cookie dough than I put on the baking sheet.

Pan cookies are OK but not the same, I'd rather have a conventional cookie.  Size isn't important, but it's more fun to eat 3 or 4 palm-size cookies than one large enough to hide the palm and five extended fingers.

My friends who lived next door had a mom who made cookies more than mine.  She convinced me she used "butternuts" that were different than others.  Butternuts may properly be named White Walnuts.  At the time I avoided nuts like the plague, but I couldn't resist her warm, melty, gooey, delicious chocolate chip cookies.

Any day is a great day for a chocolate chip cookie, since it's Sunday maybe you have time to whip up a batch yourself!  Enjoy.

Comments