Young Life

Banner at Young Life Trivia Night.
6/24/2022 dwm photo
Sunday night I had my first paying gig as a "voice talent," when I emceed Verona Young Life Trivia Night 2022.

Serving as an emcee isn't the primary goal as a voice actor, but it's an area where I have experience and something I enjoy.

Thanks to the recommendation of a friend who serves on the Young Life Board, I had an opportunity to meet with their local director about the evening and share my ideas and approach for the fundraiser.

It was Sunday evening.  The primary role of the emcee is to set the mood, keep things moving, and make transitions from one topic to the next.  

The translator and me on stage.
B Johnson photo 6/24/2022
 I had a great time and experienced working with a translator who shared what I said for the Spanish-speaking people in the audience moments after each phrase.  

 It took a half-page to find the rhythm that worked for both of us, but she was a professional with years of experience listening, remembering, than repeating the speakers' words so others could understand.

 The teams competing for the trivia title were the people gathered around each table.  The Wise Winners won, earning a free return trip to defend the crown next year.  

 Thanks to a room-full of generous and faithful supporters, the real winners Sunday evening were Verona area teens and the Young Life leaders and volunteers dedicating their lives to be a welcoming presence in their lives.

Professionally, it was a learning experience where I could track the amount of preparation and practice necessary.  I look forward to another opportunity.

Comments