My Week that Was - April 30

This is what my left arm usually looks like
after giving blood.  This was 4/1/2013.
 The third time was the charm to give blood for the first time since January 27 when I walked into the Red Cross headquarters Saturday morning.

 The good news prior to that was I didn't get a call cancelling my visit.  After checking in, I was greeted by one of the Red Cross phlebotomists.  The young woman told me she was a month into her employment and still learning the ropes.  She did an excellent job, found my vein on the first try and everything went well.

 After the Red Cross, I stopped at the bike shop to pick up my Schwinn Traveler 1980 10-speed.  It needed more work than I anticipated, but now it runs like a clock.  It will be great to take along on some trips this year.

Monday evening was my sixth of eleven planned pizza parties on our east campus.  Nearly 30 people attended, and they came armed with dozens of questions.  These are important events for me as it provides an opportunity to get to know residents in a non-intimidating setting.

Just a couple days later a long-time donor told me they were including the foundation as part of their estate plan.  That happens fairly often, what was unusual was the donor is in their late 90s.  Still living independently and making their own decisions; that isn't something that happens every day.

It was nice to see the Bucks wrap up their first round series against Chicago with what is called a "gentleman's sweep" (winning a best of seven game matchup 4 games to 1).  Sunday they open their half of the NBA's Eastern Conference Semi-Finals with the Boston Celtics.  It's going to be tough, especially without Khris Middleton able to play due to an injury in game 2 against the Bulls.  Boston has been very good in the second half of the season but I believe in Milwaukee.

Last season is officially over with Green Bay drafting players for the 2022 season.  In round 1 with the 22nd pick, the Packers selected Quay Walker, a linebacker out of the University of Georgia.  The Georgia Bulldogs had one of the best defenses in college football last year.  Adding a top inside linebacker next to De'vondre Campbell who proved to be a great player in 2021, could be what it takes for the Pack needs to win another championship.  Six picks later they selected a teammate of Walker, Devonte Wyatt, a defensive lineman who should provide some help for Kenny Clark up front.

You won't find me second guessing the Packer picks, not at this point, anyway.  They have a whole department dedicated to finding players that will help the team.  I have to believe the professionals know better than me when it comes to selecting players.  I was glad to see them pick up Christian Watson in the second round.  He is a wide receiver, which we need, out of North Dakota State.  

It usually takes three seasons to judge if a draft is successful.  The ultimate goal is winning the Super Bowl.  If any of this weekend's players help them do it, it's a success.

May begins tomorrow - maybe spring will begin then!

Comments