Last Teams Standing

I had one of the last teams! (dwm)
My original bracket had one correct selection, and I didn't expect that team, Kansas, to win its semi-final.

Gonzaga, the #1 team in the West Region, and my choice to reach the final weekend, lost to Arkansas in the Sweet Sixteen.  I thought Rutgers, which didn't make it out of the "First Four" held before round one, would play Gonzaga for a berth in the Final Four.  

Instead, a second-seeded Duke University survived a tough Sweet Sixteen match-up, then defeated Arkansas by 9 to take Coach Krzyzewski to the National Semi-Finals for his 13th and last time.

On the left side of the bracket, the Duke Blue Devils will entertain their rival and neighbor, the University of North Carolina.

North Carolina was an 8-seed in the East Region, where I originally picked the UCLA Bruins to represent.  Instead the North Carolina Tar Heels beat UCLA in the Sweet Sixteen before dominating the tournament's Cinderella, 15-seed St. Peter's out of New Jersey.  The Peacocks beat the #2, #7, and #3 teams on their way to the Elite Eight, but couldn't get it going and lost to UNC.  The Peacocks were entertaining, unfortunately they couldn't take one more giant leap.

#1 Kansas convincingly won the Midwest Region to reach the Final Four for its 16th time where they will play the Villanova Wildcats.

#2 Villanova represents the South instead of the Tennessee Volunteers which was my pick to win the whole thing.  Instead, Tennessee lost in round two.  

Picking three games should be
easier than 67! (dwm)
 Saturday I expect Duke to exact its revenge on North Carolina which defeated the Blue Devils in Coach K's last regular season home game.  Duke should have been knocked out before the Final Four in my opinion, now that they made it, I'm not picking against them.

 Kansas played its best game of the tournament Sunday in the Midwest Regional final, tearing open a close game to defeat the University of Miami (Florida).

 Monday, April 4, I expect to see a rematch of Coach K's first NCAA championship (his Duke team beat Kansas 71 -67 in 1986).  This time, I think the Jayhawks find a way to lift the trophy and celebrate in New Orleans.

 However, I don't recommend wagering real money on this. In fact, based on my other picks this year's tourney - we'll probably see Villanova play North Carolina for the championship.  If that happens, I'll go with the Wildcats.


Comments