My Week that Was - January 1

A snowman and lighted capitol on display while
the actual state capitol glows in the distance.
12/25/2021 dwm photo
Christmas morning I started the week with a run, then we opened presents before heading to church.  

I received a nice Wisconsin sweatshirt and a Tom Clancy book.  My wife seemed pleased with the gifts I picked out, so that felt good.

That afternoon, the Green Bay Packers were the spotlight NFL game as they hosted the Cleveland Browns.  

In the first half, Aaron Rodgers set a new all-time passing touchdowns mark, racking up 443, 444, and 445 to leave Brett Favre in second place with 442 passing touchdowns.

Yes, Packer fans are spoiled as we've enjoyed top-flight quarterback play for 30 years.  

The defense fought hard, made four interceptions, and prevented a two-point conversion which provided the sliver they needed to win.  There is work to do.  There are two regular season games left - at home tomorrow against Minnesota, then the finale in Detroit.  Win both and the team will enjoy a week off before playing in the divisional round of the NFL post-season.  Go Pack!

After the game, we drove around town looking at Christmas lights, highlighted by the Fantasy of Lights display by the local Electricians' union at Olin Park.  It's worth waiting on the long-line of cars winding their way through the city park to see the lights as there are candy canes given to each car before they head home.

The first snow dropped 1-1/2 inches.
12/27/2021 dwm photo
 Monday I was back at work for my first full week out of the last three.  This last week is devoted to donor thank you calls and final preparation for the donors who prefer to give just before the ball drops.

 The first snow arrived early Monday morning.  I love the way snow quiets the streets. It seems to create light by reflecting whatever is available to cast a shimmer on trees and homes.

 Tuesday brought more snow, as it fell slowly from mid-morning until evening.  We saw another three inches around us.  An hour north they got twice that much.  It's not heavy snow, but it's a start.

By mid-day Wednesday, the thank you calls were finished and special thank you letters were in the mail.  That meant I could turn my attention to thoroughly cleaning the office.  I usually try to clean my office space three or four times a year when things are quieter than usual.

This time I used the opportunity to clean out folders filled with paper and records no longer needed; re-organized and re-prioritized materials I expect to use in 2022; and place the documents with personal information in the shred box.  Then I used the furniture polish, soap and water, and some elbow grease to get things looking clean and smelling fresh.

It might be another week before we know gift totals for the year, but it is already clear we are ahead on last year.  That's a blessing.

As you start your new year, I wish you all the best and hope you keep checking this blog spot, thank you.

Comments