My Life - Chapter 53 - Favorite Profs

Meredith Hall at Drake University, home of
the School of Journalism.  11/1/2019 (dwm)
  There are several professors I remember fondly from Drake University.  

  More than 35 years after I graduated, I'm still in touch with a couple of them.

   I don't remember the name of the Philosophy professor I had when I took "Death and Dying," but that class left a permanent imprint on me.

   As a college kid, I didn't know much about the subject and thought it could be interesting.  One of our text books was Elisabeth Kubler Ross' book, On Death and Dying.

I learned a lot, but what left it's mark were a couple of field trips.  

The professor took us to a funeral home where we learned about how they worked with the deceased; saw a crematory; and viewed ashes.  

The next trip was to the College of Osteopathic Medicine where we toured the cadaver lab.  The bodies were donated to the school so medical students could learn on a human body.  It remains a vivid memory.  It was more interesting than gross or offensive.  I noticed how quiet we were during our visit, out of respect for the dead and their final gift.

Professors Havice, Cheney, and Lytle were three journalism teachers - all of whom I worked with regularly during my time at Drake.

Professor Havice taught several radio and TV production classes.  One story I remember was from his days working in radio.  He told us about watching a radio antennae under construction that drew the interest of a neighbor across the road.  Each day the man would pull out a chair to watch the crew climb the tower.  

At least one member of that crew had a wicked sense of humor, stuffing a mannequin in a work bag for the climb, which they later dropped to the ground for kicks and giggles.  A sordid and funny story that I've never forgotten.

Dr. Michael Cheney was my advisor, so I talked with him prior to signing up for classes or when exploring employment or internship opportunities; he worked closely with Mike Newell, the internship coordinator, who was chiefly responsible for my KWWL-TV internship that propelled me into news and meeting my wife.  Thanks, Mikes!

Dr. John Lytle was a wonderful mentor for me and many students studying broadcast journalism.  Early on, he listened to a radio newscast I put on tape for assignment.  "Keep it simple," he said, not liking that I used 'precipitation,' which didn't describe what kind of moisture was falling instead of saying rain or snow.

John, as we came to know him and was how he preferred we address him, seemingly always had a Styrofoam cup of coffee in his hand.  His sense of humor and encouragement got me to join the Iowa Broadcast News Association where I received a scholarship.  John's recommendation helped me land a job at WHO radio during my final two semesters of college and likely helped me land my first post-college job as a news director in Osceola, Iowa.

Our relationship continued as he offered advice and a recommendation to KELO-TV for a gig as a TV reporter-photographer.  Whenever I returned to Drake after graduating, I made a point to visit with John, usually over breakfast at the Drake Diner.

While I only worked 'in my major' until 1993, John continued offering encouragement and support.  The lessons I learned in Journalism school applied outside that narrow focus, which helped as I transitioned to insurance sales where I worked for 10 years and fundraising, which I started in 2003.

The value of good instructors resonates beyond the classroom and their chosen field.  It included lessons by example and through sage advice on how to be a professional; react to good and bad days; and how to always do your best.  

Comments