My Week that Was - December 25

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a festive
crab.  12/17/2021 dwm photo
After a nice visit to Indiana, we headed home Saturday, making our way west across Indiana to central Illinois where we turned north to Wisconsin.  

It's become very helpful these last couple years to get home with a day to rest before heading back to work and this trip was no exception.  That also meant we were back to attend our home church and our usual seats for the Packer game.

Green Bay still has issues with its special teams, but managed to put enough points on the board and prevent Baltimore from adding two points to their score when it would have made a big difference.  31 - 30 isn't a dominating margin, but a win is a win, especially when you are leading the National Football Conference.  

Three games to go, starting this afternoon in Lambeau Field when Cleveland comes to town.  Go Pack, Go!

Monday, I was back in the office for a four-day week.  A couple visits are planned, but the next nine days are going to be spent primarily on the phone.

Just a few days remained to get my shopping down before Christmas, so I found gift cards in two stores and found what I hope will be a winning gift in another specialty shop.  There was one more gift on my list but no worries as I'm confident she'll like it.

It was great working this week as the mailbox was full most mornings with a lot of year-end gifts that pushed past last year's mark.  I've been making a lot of calls, thanking people for their support.  The most important thing about asking for gifts is to be sure to say thank you in a variety of ways and be sure donors understand the impact of their gift.

Last year there were no office parties; no conversations with friends and co-workers about their plans for the holiday; in fact there was basically none of any thing, any place.  We're nowhere near normal, but this year is a whole lot closer than 2020!

You won't usually find me complaining about technology changes.  This week one of them upgraded Oakwood's office email.  The one we've used since I joined the company was out-of-date, to be sure.  This one is different, but once we figured out how to access the system it didn't take long before we were off and running.

Getting 'boosted.' 12/23/2021

  I got my booster shot Thursday after work.  In case you're wondering about the picture, there's an explanation.  When I dressed for work, I didn't think about getting the shot, so I put on my usual long-sleeve dress shirt.

  Not wanting to alarm you I moved the camera to an angle where there was nothing to see.  You're welcome.  :-)

  As I write this 90 minutes after the shot, I feel good.  I've been swinging my arm around a lot in an effort to distribute the medicine throughout my body so I don't feel pain at the injection site.

Side-effects haven't bothered me after the first two vaccinations, but a high percentage of boosted folks I've talked to have felt anywhere from crummy to sick-in-bed made me wonder about my shot. 

When I woke the morning of Christmas Eve, I did a personal inventory.  No headache, no fatigue (other than the usual after waking up), and no pain other tenderness at the injection site.  I'm grateful I didn't have any side-effects and more grateful for the advancements that lead to the Covid-19 booster shot.

Thankful too, that I was well enough to attend Christmas Eve worship services.  It reminds me of the programs we did at St. Paul's when I was a student.  I recall the nerves about whether I'd remember the words for our recitations and the hymns we sang.  After the service, the assembled classes marched out of the gym to our classroom where our parents picked us up if we were small.  We received a goody bag packed with peanuts, assorted nuts, fruit, and candy.  

Then we went home to exchange gifts - Christmas was here!

If you missed the finish of the Christmas story blog which was posted earlier - you can find it on the blog homepage, dwmossner.blogspot.com

Comments