My Week that Was - November 13

Hyde Mill 11/6/21 dwm photo
We had a wonderful day last Saturday - abundant sunshine and one of the last warm days of the year.   A lot of the fall color fell to the ground the week before, but it was still a nice day for a drive in the country.

After a stop at Kwik Trip to grab something to eat we wound our way through the driftless hills in Iowa to Hyde's Mill.

It's our sixth trip to the mill since we "discovered" it last summer.  

On the Badger
State Trail. 11/6/21
dwm photo
 After we returned home I decided I better pump up the tires so I could get in at least one more ride before it is too darn cold.

 It was in the mid-40s when I headed out.  As I was riding south, a brisk breeze was coming north increasing the challenge of the ride and making me appreciate the bright sunshine and gear that kept me from freezing.

 That afternoon I watched the Wisconsin Badgers continue their climb in the standings after starting with 1 win in their first four games.  They blew out Rutgers.  Next up is Northwestern coming to Madison today.

 It felt good to get a little extra sleep with the fall back to standard time and it was nice to see daylight before 6 and sunrise before 7.  I know we exchange it for sunset before 5, but that works for me.

Not sure if this was the work
of vandals or a "wash" cycle
before the fountain is drained.
11/6/21 dwm photo
Sunday mornings I take a brisk walk instead of a slow run.  On my usual trek I go south on Main Street through the city's downtown.  I'm used to the sight and sound of the Veterans Memorial fountain near the old rail crossing which is now the Military Ridge Bike Trail.  

It doesn't usually look like a washing machine.  I suspect a prankster dumped some bubble bath or detergent in the fountain, but for all I know it might be part of the procedure before draining the fountain and turning off the water before temperatures drop below freezing on a regular basis.

The Packers flew to Kansas City without their MVP quarterback who was sitting at home because of his Covid-19 diagnosis.  It was the first start for Jordan Love.  Hopefully he won't have to start again for a while.

Love only had one turnover and looked unsure of himself several times as Kansas City sent more defenders than the Packers had blockers.  On the plus side, he threw his first touchdown pass in the NFL.  The Green Bay defense had a strong performance, keeping the Packers in the game until the end.

If healthy, Aaron Rodgers may be back on the field tomorrow when Seattle comes to Lambeau.  If Rodgers isn't ready, I hope this experience and a home crowd gives Jordan Love the confidence to defeat the Seahawks.

Minutes before sunrise... 11/7/2021 (dwm)
 The work week was pretty normal, but I had a donor visit that neither I or the donor will soon forget.

 After walking in the front door, saying hello, and exchanging small talk, they offered me a glass of fresh apple cider.

 When I reached for the tall, slender glass instead of grasping it, I knocked it over.  It broke when it hit the marble counter top, spilling cider on the table and on the floor.

 I was embarrassed and horrified that this first meeting couldn't have gotten to a worse start.  Instead, the couple grabbed towels and we continued talking as we sopped up the cider, dried the floor, and swept up the glass.

Breaking the glass, instead of the ice, turned out to be highly effective, leading to a great conversation and a promising start for a new relationship.  You shouldn't cry over spilled milk, but you should clean up and talk over spilled cider.

One more remarkable thing at work this week, five people returned my calls to set up in-person visits.  That was rare during my insurance selling days when it took twenty phone calls to reach six people that lead to one appointment if I was lucky.  In any scenario, I'm always grateful when people respond to voicemail.

Weather turned Thursday.  It was 51 at 5am, in the low 40s 12 hours later, I don't think we've seen the last warm day of 2021, but there aren't many left.

I hope you have a wonderful week!

Comments