My Life - Chapter 44 - Boss

WISC adopted a new
look while I worked
there. (dwm photo)
It seems strange to write that my best boss was the one who told me I needed to look for work.

It was near the end of my third year as Rock County Bureau reporter-photographer when Tom came to the bureau for a performance review.

My office was in the basement of the Rock County Airport terminal.  The only lights were fluorescent except for studio lights aimed at the small set where I could do a live shot.  The studio lights were off, leaving just a yellowish glow and faint hum of the bulbs.

I had an old metal desk facing the west wall of the office and a small return where the TRS-80 computer sat.  Tom was 5 feet away next to a six-foot table on the other side of the long, narrow space.

There were a few pleasantries as I welcomed him to the office.  He sat down, but I don't remember many details.

I don't recall how he told me my time with Channel 3 was coming to an end.  In short, my work wasn't what they wanted and I was gone.

Tom didn't demean me or my work.  I was devastated by the news, crying as the news sunk in that I needed to find work.  I wasn't done that instant.  I worked three more months, and had a little cushion with severance pay.  

Ultimately, I understood why I was let go and respected the way he handled the situation.

Other than my managers while delivering the Sunday Milwaukee Journal, I've generally liked and gotten along with my bosses.

My favorite boss is my current one, Keith, who has been director of the Oakwood Foundation since 2015.  He approaches things collaboratively and includes me in many decisions.  It's a fun place to work and a place where my effort makes a difference.  I hope we'll be working together for years to come.

Comments