Minnesota Lighthouses - Two Harbors Breakwater

The Breakwater light at Two Harbors.
8/24/21 dwm photo
 The centerpiece of our Minnesota trip was staying in a lighthouse turned into a bed and breakfast.  You can read more about it in last week's blog.

 The Breakwater lighthouse was built in 1906.  In this case the "house" is for the light itself, not the people who live there.  I'll admit, this is the first time I've thought of a light house this way.

 Because we were staying there I had the opportunity to take pictures of the simple light before sunset and before sunrise.

This port is still active as an iron ore is loaded regularly on huge ore boats.  

The Breakwater lighthouse basking in late day sun.
8/24/2021 (dwm)
Two iron ore docks were built in 1887 in Agate Bay and two remain in service today as ore boats stop in Two Harbors regularly for a load of Taconite (iron ore pellets).  (Scroll down to see the docks.)

No boat entered the harbor while we were there, but there was no stopping work around the docks, so I suspect we didn't miss them by more than a day.

The red light flashes ever six seconds. 8/25/21 (dwm)
When I set out early Wednesday morning to take pictures I didn't expect to still see the modern LED lights on in the two lighthouses of Agate Bay, but I was lucky.

 I ran into two pairs of deer, with doe and fawn untroubled by my presence.  The second pair was 15-feet away when I came around a bush.  Mom looked at me, figured I was harmless, and went back to eating.

 We've seen quite a few breakwater lights like Two Harbors over the years.  Their simple design is efficient and elegant while standing strong against all kinds of weather.  

They are unappreciated, perhaps, but get the job done.

The sun sets on the ore docks.  8/24/21 dw mossner photo

A close look at the shuts which pour Taconite into the holds of Ore Boats. 8/24/21 

The Edna G - the oldest working tug boat on the Great Lakes is now retired in Two Harbors.
It provides a sense of scale for the ore dock.  8/25/2021 (dwm)

Comments